Shares..........

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
Has anyone thought about buying shares during this credit crunching time? Anyone good at this?

I haven’t any experience in buying shares and I only understand the most basic concept of buying low selling high. It just seems to be a good time to get into the market. I was thinking that shares can’t go that much lower for i.e. HBOS etc since the government just wouldn’t let it happen. When it actually pick up again I’ll get a little pocket money.

Any thoughts? Or anyone doing it already?o_O

I have around 10 shares in GE Aviation, the company i work for, was worth around £400 now only £120 lol its a dangerous game and i would suggest reading up on it before you enter into it

But yes, buying now wouldnt be such a bad thing to do, unless we go into a resession

I'm buying shares in my compnay at the moment good time if youve got the money ;) should make a good bit of dosh if the prices goes up.

I have around 10 shares in GE Aviation, the company i work for, was worth around £400 now only £120 lol its a dangerous game and i would suggest reading up on it before you enter into it

But yes, buying now wouldnt be such a bad thing to do, unless we go into a resession

say for example if i buy £10 in shares, and recession comes that only means losing the £10 i pay isnt it? i don't quite understand why people can lose more than they bought and end up committing suicide etc o_O

First thing is tho, you have to keep the shares for iirc 5 years to aviod the tax..!!!!!

People plough thousands into shares worth say £11 each, the company then goes tits up with say resession fears and each share is then worth 20p each, see why you can loose a lot?? lol

Buy shares in Northern Rock :grinning:..

Actually to be fair you've probably missed the boat with that.

The advice in finance atm is to invest in Irish Banks because of thier ridiculous interest rates that they'e guaranteed for a numbr of years. Seems far too good to be true though.

Best idea with shares is to start with say £100, but shares, sell them on and use that profit to buy more share, dont put anymore of your own money into it, that way if share value falls you haven't really lost anything.

Buying shares in banks is a bad idea right now, i would suggest buying shares in petrol stations, as fuel prices are slowly dropping, (especially at morrisons), more people will visit their forecourts, boosting share value. As soon as you feel the value is as high as it will get, sell on straight away. I estimate this will peak around february/march time, but dont quote me on that.

In terms of buying shares, you normally have to go to your bank and ask to speak to an advisor who will organise the purchase of the shares on your behalf.

But again, you will be hit by the tax and loose any profit if you dont keep them for 5 years

Not strictly true I believe that you get a capital gains tax allowance of £17k or thereabouts. It is a good time to buy, but you're gonna need to be sending thousands to make it worthwile investment - you've also missed the boat with gold but commodities is a slightly different beast - and it may be worth sitting tight for a week or so as the markets have been incredibly volatile this past two weeks, if we can settle down into a nice gentle recession then you can buy and be laughing in 5-10 years...

Craig

First thing is tho, you have to keep the shares for iirc 5 years to aviod the tax..!!!!!

People plough thousands into shares worth say £11 each, the company then goes tits up with say resession fears and each share is then worth 20p each, see why you can loose a lot?? lol

yea i understand that bit, if shares lose value then you lose money. but how come some people out there for example buy £10 and end up losing £20?:kungfu: i need some economics lesson! :laugh:

Best idea with shares is to start with say £100, but shares, sell them on and use that profit to buy more share, dont put anymore of your own money into it, that way if share value falls you haven't really lost anything.

Buying shares in banks is a bad idea right now, i would suggest buying shares in petrol stations, as fuel prices are slowly dropping, (especially at morrisons), more people will visit their forecourts, boosting share value. As soon as you feel the value is as high as it will get, sell on straight away. I estimate this will peak around february/march time, but dont quote me on that.

In terms of buying shares, you normally have to go to your bank and ask to speak to an advisor who will organise the purchase of the shares on your behalf.

thats good advice that is, cheers! is it true that spending hundreds in shares is pointless? cos the cost of buying and selling and agent fees will take most of the profits? what percentages are we talking about?

if we can settle down into a nice gentle recession then you can buy and be laughing in 5-10 years...

that long?! :doh:

Have a look into the fees charged by the trading companies out there, the one-off costs soon bump your up front costs up so the more shares you get, the less they affect how much you pay.

It will be a long long time before markets reach the highs that we had say 6-12 months ago.

Back