Series 1 tacho cluster install into a Series 2 micra.

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Series 1 tacho dash cluster does not plug and play into a series 2 micra. (well it didnt on mine anyway!)

Mine is a 97 LX series 2, it has a newer model (revision) cluster to the series 1. The S2 loom as far as we could tell does not have a tacho wire.
We compared my S2 loom plug to 620racers series 1 loom plug, and mine had 1x less wire in the same spot. (a blue wire) But mine had a pink wire in a different spot that the S1 did not have. We traced that to be an airbag light wire. (The S1 had nothing in this spot)

We discovered that the blue wire coming out of the dizzy sends the RPM signal, so we ran a test wire from the blue wire on the dizzy to the cluster, where mine was missing the blue wire. This did make the tacho work!!

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
My 1994 JDM 1L K11 was missing the tacho wire from the cluster plug.
The loom that connected to the cluster originated from a plug in the loom next to the computer.
The tacho wire ran as far as that plug but did not continue.
So all I had to do was add the wire to that short section of loom.

This is the only K11 that I've seen out of a number of others of similar year that had a problem fitting a tacho cluster.

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Thanks littlebear - that would be good.
The blue wire from the dizzy goes to a small plug right next to the dizzy, then comes out the other side of the plug as a green and yellow wire! beyond me.....?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I pulled a mates car apart & traced the tacho wire back from the cluster to the plug, then looked at mine.
It was a couple of years ago & I can't remember.
I think I've posted about it before, a search might find it.

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Ok, I had to run a new seperate wire from the dizzy, up to the back of the cluster. I then went to a wreckers and found another plug that I could steal a metal terminal from to attach my new wire to the cluster. (S13 silvia has the same plug for it's tacho!)
I now have a working S1 tacho in my S2 :)

Back