Scrapping a car

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
My mate's XR2 has finally succumbed to rust, he is breaking it for parts but doesn't know what he needs to do to get rid of the shell, he says someone at work told him that it would cost £150 to give it to the scrappy and I said, surely not, I'll ask on tinternet, so basically, can you just drop a car off at a scrapyard and they will then take it off your hands or does it cost?
Ta Craig

i have scrapped quite a few cars. its doesnt cost anything and usually they will collect it for free if you live nearby. or you can drop it in their car park and just tell them its there and they will actually give you some cash to have it, they will weigh it and pay you. if some places are mentioning prices charge to scrap they are just looking to con some cash out of you. avoid them.

currenly the price of scrap is quite high, so you will probably get money for it. Most places will collect the shell for you, just rember to inform the dvla that is been scrapped.

ther are adds in our local paper usually by gypo's for free collection of cars..they come and take it on the flat bed and go cash it in for themselves

Our local paper often has "free vehicle amnesty" adverts from the local council. They will come and collect your scrap car for free. Might be worth looking in your local paper, or ringing the council?

Gemma85 said:
i think you have to pay up here too..I think it differs in different scrap yards

theres a few in sunderland that take them for nothing and one in tyne dock that takes them away for you too.

we dont get money for cars though

Back