Saas Tacho

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
going for a quasi Super S tacho cluster look. i'm going to put a 2 inch water temp gauge on the right so you can still see the fuel gauge and then put an analog clock in a dash top 3-gauge pod.

gauge mocked up in cluster hood.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
the mounting bracket, make sure its all even then mark holes

Attachments

• 58455.jpg
    58455.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 31

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
the screws that came with the tacho are too short for a firm mounting so i substituted some slightly longer ones. i had lying around.

Attachments

• 58456.jpg
    58456.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 39

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
holes 'drilled' through with a small soldering iron tip then screw started while its still warm.. i'm too lazy to drill. used to 'drill' 20+mm holes with a soldering iron when i was installing satellite tracking systems :eek:) quick, quite clean but smelly.

Attachments

• 58457.jpg
    58457.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 31

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
i had to mount the bracket then put the tacho and shift light in after. this meant i needed access to the bolt on the bracket, had to cut a hole in the shroud to get to the bolt head but it also gave me somewhere to route the wiring harness.

Attachments

• 58458.jpg
    58458.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 28

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
all back together now, no more water temp gauge it it hardly ever worked anyway. and the clock, everyone knows about them not lighting up. the UV LED i put behind the clock looked cool but didn't help you to see it at night.

Attachments

• 58459.jpg
    58459.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 42

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Cheers man. its not too bright, just the camera was directly in line with the LED's. i'm going to stuff a piece of frosted polycarb in front of the LED's to dull it a bit.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Thanks Low.. i was looking for a 75mm one to match the size of the micra gauges but just couldn't be stuffed looking anymore so i got this one (95mm). i figured its gonna cover the temp gauge so as long as it fitted i wasn't too worried.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
its removable but i thought i'd give it a go till i'm used to the sound of the micra engine a few rpm's before redline. tho i can definately feel it stop pulling at 4k-4.5k rpm's so i don't really need a shift light... ads wank factor tho ;oP

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
think i will keep it for now, i'm too lazy to pull it off anyway. need to get some more gauges now(plenty more... just because i can) but suspension components need to come first i think.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Nice!!! this one cost me $100. i'm waiting on a call from a mate who's in contact with one of the few distributers here of gauges, he says he can probably get me gauges at wholesale price. tacho, vacuum, ammeter, volt meter is ok 2nd hand but i'd prefer to get the rest new so i'm guaranteed i get the correct senders.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Its pretty quick mate. I cant wait, the tuner rang me yesterday and told me he has the Autronic wired in and the Car starts. He just had to wire the supercharger to the auxillary and then sort the air temp and water temp sensors out and were on the road with a supercharged Micra. Its going to be sick.

Sorry for the Thread Hijack. On topic though i think i just figured out where i will mount the Tacho now.

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"Haha I've found used but good ones off eBay they are type r brand, they range from $17 to $30 from hongkong I'll be using them in my gauge holder I've made up

yep with those you micra will rev to 9000rpm mate.. so ****house it will die during summer..

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"I've had mine in my DD for about 12months and it's fine, and does anyone rev their Micra to 9k anyway??

because its inaccurate(reads wrong?!?), cheap ?!? If you are going through all the trouble redoing all the custom interior work and 'supposedly' another CG13de for your BIG turbo application. you are going to spend $17-$30 on gauge from ebay cheap **** 'type R' brand AND ITS SECOND-HAND. Dude if that's what your happy with....by all means go for it........

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
Saas are pretty decent for a budget cheap tacho, the electrics are a close copy of autometer. price range from 25-70 at cost and no more that $110 at retail. you can purchase them from any autobarn or just pm me.

Attachments

• 58525.jpg
    58525.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 28

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"mycra WROTE:

"LowMicra WROTE:

"its not that big of a turbo app. 180kws. haha nah im not spending 15-30 on gauges more like 100-200ea. i only used type r cause its a ****ty dd"</div>

mmhm......but do post up when you are pumping out more power that cisco's motor..."</div>

I sure will and i'll post a video too :D

and i might just go SAAS or Drift or Cailber gauges means no waiting time :D and i can get trade price :D

good luck

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Nice video Frank, what did the cams cost you if you don't mind me asking? i probably will cam it in the future.. build a motor on a stand then drop it in, but i'll be looking at street driving it so cams kickin in at 4k just limits the fun i can have.

Sik i looked at speco, got an ammeter by them installed, but only saw the 2" ones and i didn't want to order anything without being able to physically look at the gauge to see if it'd fit. if i get a donor car/cluster and a haynes manual for the wiring diagrams i'll make my own gauge cluster using the correct size gauges and wire than in place of the original cluster + external gauges so it all looks stock.

Mycra.. have you had much feedback on the Drift stuff, i've heard mixed reviews, some say its mint, others say its crap, its really accurate, its inaccurate, needles stick, all over the place... or is it just luck of the draw? its cheap enough and decent looking i'm thinking of getting a few of their gauges... stuff i don't really need like an oil temp gauge for the gearbox... i like to see what my car's doing. i went from a corolla that had a speedo, fuel, temp and clock to a 260Z with clock, fuel, batt, oil press, water temp, tacho and speedo... now i'm a gauge whore ;oP

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
AB-NRML WROTE:

"Nice video Frank, what did the cams cost you if you don't mind me asking? i probably will cam it in the future.. build a motor on a stand then drop it in, but i'll be looking at street driving it so cams kickin in at 4k just limits the fun i can have.

the cams were reprofiled by autosprint for £80 each AB http://www.autosprint.co.uk/
they,re a 260 deg/10mm lift profile, and he takes 2.5mm off so that you can run an extra shim under the bucket (to make up the difference in clearance)
they have a very aggressive opening/closing ramp, which makes them ideal for a daily (because you dont lose any bottom-end/grunt) but that makes them prone to valvebounce, and they will spit a shim out at 7300+ rpm (my milder piper cams saw nearly 9000 rpm in my 1.0 engine no probs)

frank

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
I have a drift digital oil pressure gauge here you can have for next to nothing. They are good gauges and i never had a problem with it. But not sure what they cost. I just brought a full set of Defi Gauges for near on 1200

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
i know they are pricey but the thing i looked at is A. Its a set including the advanced control unit, oil pressure, boost, water temp and oil temp for 1200 delivered. B. THey have play back and also the built in alarm function for when oil pressure drops and boost spikes etc. This is priceless as the missus is the daily driver of the little micra and with the supercharged motor now in i dont want things to go unnoticed. That and she can drive the balls off the car but when it comes to looking at gauges she lacks that. So the alarm will be set low and she has to notice that.

All in all its something that will save thousands when something goes wrong so its priceless in my opinion.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
pretty much yep. But if it were a stock motor i would not care. Though cos its forged and had the flowed head and blower etc. I dont want to have to go through a 3k just in parts to rebuild it cos it got hot etc.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Well if you want i will swap you my lx one with no tacho and 50 bucks cash along with a speco tacho and you give me your one. Then you can mount the tacho on my cluster as above and everyone is happy.

Back