Help with fuel gauge!

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
hi all, i really need help with my fuel gauge and water temp gauge. As probably most of you know i have put a japanese cluster into my car. the one with the tacho. everything works perfectly except the water temp gauge and fuel gauge. i have bought a new fuel gauge sender unit and water temp sensor sender unit (jap spec) and they still dont work properly. i was told that to make the water temp gauge work properly i also have to buy the engine temp sensor too. is this true? ive already shelled out 220 bucks for the fuel sender and 40 bucks for the water temp gauge sender. how much more do i have to spend!? the needles do work.... but they are way above the full mark. any ideas please?

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
yes the jap and uk spec water temp sensor (in the engine block) work differently..

I had a japspec engine put in..and my temp gauge flew off the handle.

had a aussie water temp sensor shoved into engine bay and everything is good now

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
hmmm... is the engine temp sender or water temp gauge sender? i heard you have to change both. is that true? ive only changed the gauge sender (one wire). do i have to change the engine temp one as well (two wire)? the one you changed is it under the dizzy? was it the 12mm one or the 19mm one?

CMF_supersonic_10001

» CMF Member
i have a 1995 micra and i have a problem with the fuel gauge...indicates even if I stop the engine and even if I remove the key from the ignition.is this a problem?
Im sorry for my english it's very bad.
any opinion is apreciated
thx

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
you have to confirm if your fuel gauge is mechanical or electrical...if mechanical the gauge reading will be always on , and for electrical it should be off when the ignition is set to off.....i hoped im right!

CMF_supersonic_10001

» CMF Member
1300cc WROTE:

"you have to confirm if your fuel gauge is mechanical or electrical...if mechanical the gauge reading will be always on , and for electrical it should be off when the ignition is set to off.....i hoped im right!
and how would I know if it is electrical or mechanical?what are the diferences?

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The jap spec K11 and pretty much every nissan I've owned over the last 15 years has an electrical fuel gauge that only moves when the ignition is turned on, i.e. when you turn the car off, the gauge stays put, it does not move to empty.

Mechanial fuel gauge, interesting concept, never heard of it unless you want to count a dipstick.

It is quite common for other manufacturers electrical gauges to have a spring to return to zero, much like the K11 temp gauge.

CMF_1300cc

» CMF Member
volks wagen beetle have a mechanical fuel gauge, its like floating hollowed metal inside the fuel tank, and this is how the gauge needle is controlled, thats why even the engine is off the needle is still on the full level, assuming the the tank is full and so the float device is i should say is floating....i dont know if i am explaining it properly.....

Back