Windscreen

Suze

Club Member (Trial)
Car got a chip in the windscreen this morning which has now turned into a small crack :( First quote was £357.....now got it down by a couple of £hundred, but guy who said he could come tomorrow now can't grr

Is it a relatively easy job to get one from a scrappy and change it myself or is it best just to fork out? Insurance is only TPFT.

alchemyst

Ex. Club Member
change your insurance wait a week then claim!! itll cost you about £50 or there abouts.
i may be wrong but when i was messing with the wipers and had the lower cover off it looked like the screen is bonded in/onto the shell (of course i could be wrong but i dont think so) if it is you wont get one out of a scrapper and you need to bond them back in with the right stuff.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
they are bonded in :) but you can get them from the scrappy though youd have to be very careful (ive no experience of doing this myself...just seen people doing it)

not sure whereabouts you are in the uk, but i wouldnt have thought it should cost that much as its not like micras are thin on the ground...but i guess depends on what parts they supplying etc.

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Fitting windscreens is notoriously difficult, don't even attempt to fit a bonded screen! It's very easy to crack them.

Claim it on your insurance :)

OP
OP
Suze

Suze

Club Member (Trial)
Can't claim on insurance, will mean changing it which will be a lot more plus the excess.

Now found a quote for £130......just got to sort out when to get it done!