• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Robb's 'Project Awesome' Facelift

I think the coolest bang for the buck now has got to be wheel spacers (Y).

Really really nice job on the steelies ! Do you have more pictures? Can you detail how you done it? (kind of paints, number of coats etc?) (Y)

Really really nice job on the steelies ! Do you have more pictures? Can you detail how you done it? (kind of paints, number of coats etc?) (Y)

With mine i had 2 wheels that were really rusty. With these i just rubbed down the worst bits with some 80g sand paper until smooth. The rest i just rubbed the surface with some finer paper. The idea is to not remove all the existing paint but to provide a key for the paint.

Next i masked off the tyre with masking tape and newspaper, then sprayed with 2 coats of primer leaving plenty of time for each layer to dry. You can rub down with wet and dry paper between paper if you want a really good finish.

Next mask off the areas you dont black then spary 2 coats of black and leave to dry. Next mask off all areas you dont and to be silver, then spray with 2 coats of silver :)

photo-4.jpg

Cheers wehey i did pretty much the same thing, i used halfords spray paint (some ford pearlescent black iirc followed by laquer) for the centre after priming and prepping, make sure to wait a couple of days at least so when you come to mask off for the silver you dont ruin the finish of the black. I also used plastikote chrome effect paint for my rims, which looks ace for a few months but has gone dull now :laugh:

looks excellent matey :) i have a silver facelift aswell :p one question how did you get rid of the orange in the headlight? is it just a piece off film? or did you replace the whole unit?

They are amber plastic lenses that unclip from the plastic chrome inside, there is a diy guide for full members but basically you remove the clusters, heat the glass lens and carefully remove, then its just a case of unclipping the chrome plastic trim, removing the amber lenses and painting the chrome if you so wish as i did. ;)

The car is looking rather battered at the moment :rolleyes: tidy up and updates soon hopefully.

Wow been away too long, since march ive had these ally cats fitted but not had much time to tinker, project awesome is becoming more like project shed :rolleyes:

IMAG0274.jpg

I actually uploaded this in march but forgot to post, these wheels are now sadly coming off as i will be returning it to standard for the missus to learn in.

Back