RIP my K12

I haven't been on here for ages, because my 53 plate Micra has been very reliable until 2 weeks ago it suddenly wouldn't start again after a day out leaving me stranded with all my shoppings. Turn the key all the lights would come on but no sound. To me it looks like an immobiliser issue.

RAC couldn't fix it by roadside so towed me to Nissan. After 12 days of diagnostic work (bill currently stands at £340 inc 2 hours labour to take things apart) today they said the car starts but no power steering at all. Which means a new unit costing over £1600. They also said it's not drivable so I am left with some questions:

1) the car is only worth a couple hundred quid so paying that price to fix it is not an option, how do I get rid of the car? Would the dealership auction it off for me do you think?

2) would you pay or haggle the diagnostic fees accrued so far because they have failed to fix the issue?

3) would a small garage be able to fix it cheaper?

4) what would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks in advance. I am quite confused at the moment, some advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well I should change the title as the little Micra is not quite dead...yet. We are still driving it without power steering. The garage has repeatedly warned against this and said it might not start again so it's better that I sell it. The car feels fine, just turns like a lorry. Anyone know if I am ok to carry on?

In the meantime, we've found a cheap alternative in an used Suzuki Alto on autotrader for a grand, anyone know if they are reliable?

Back