RG coilover height difference/damping settings.

CMF_Meeecra

» CMF Member
I bought a car that has with racing project ( look exactly the same as racing gear ones but with stickers on them) from Japan. I lifted the rear using the cups that the springs slip into, but one side is higher then the other now, anyone with racing gear coilovers know why this might be? I think the shocks are height adjustable so would I just have get a hold of a c spanner and adjust it down? Also by turning the Allen key on the top of the rear shocks am I adjusting anything?

CMF_Meeecra

» CMF Member
Meeecra WROTE:

"I bought a car that has with racing project ( look exactly the same as racing gear ones but with stickers on them) from Japan. I lifted the rear using the cups that the springs slip into, but one side is higher then the other now, anyone with racing gear coilovers know why this might be? I think the shocks are height adjustable so would I just have get a hold of a c spanner and adjust it down? Also by turning the Allen key on the top of the rear shocks am I adjusting anything?

Forgot to mention I have an adjustable panhard rod the rear seems to be pretty much spot on how much of an effect would this have?

CMF_Meeecra

» CMF Member
Cheers I had a read of that, I don't think it's my panhard rod. I've adjusted it might need to jack it up and have another go, I think it's got something to do with the coilovers them selves. Might just have to play around a bit till I sort it out.

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
are they a coilover rear? Most micra rears are not. I would say it is unlikely that the shock is height adjustable, but there may be a adjustable height seat under the spring. Adjust that to even out ride height.

You may find that the spring is not seated correctly causing it to sit higher on that side.

CMF_niiCk

» CMF Member
Meeecra WROTE:

"Yeah I did, and nope I won't lol

Nice buy man haha..yeah was worth a try

Tyrie WROTE:

"are they a coilover rear? Most micra rears are not. I would say it is unlikely that the shock is height adjustable, but there may be a adjustable height seat under the spring. Adjust that to even out ride height.<BR><BR>You may find that the spring is not seated correctly causing it to sit higher on that side.

pretty sure they were separate springs and shocks.
some shocks are height adjustable regardless if theres a spring on it. It works like a coilovers where you can adjust the bottom of it to shorten or lengthen the height of the shock. This helps to keep the springs captive when really short springs are installed.

So it could be either that or that the springs arent equally leveled.

CMF_niiCk

» CMF Member
also, your 'allen key' thing at the top of the shocks are to adjust the damper. As you turn it, you should be able to feel the clicks or even hear the clicks. Coilovers have certain number of clicks. I think, if you turn to the right it would make the dampers more stiff whereas to the left makes them softer. Depends what you intend to use the car for.

CMF_Meeecra

» CMF Member
Cheers, I thought so. I don't think they were even when I got the car one side feels more stiff then the other. I'm guessing best way to get them even is to turn them to full soft and then adjust the clicks evenly from there. I'm heading to Japan tomorrow and am doing a very small amount of car shopping(snowboarding trip). I have enough coin for some coilovers which I may get, if I do I'll pm you.

CMF_Meeecra

» CMF Member
Missed that one not a "coilover" rear as such separate spring and shock with the spring perches that are used to adjust spring height.

My rear shocks have thread on them and an adjustable c spanner ring. I'm going to pull it all out of the car soon so I'll take a bunch of photos.

CMF_niiCk

» CMF Member
Meeecra WROTE:

"Cheers, I thought so. I don't think they were even when I got the car one side feels more stiff then the other. I'm guessing best way to get them even is to turn them to full soft and then adjust the clicks evenly from there. I'm heading to Japan tomorrow and am doing a very small amount of car shopping(snowboarding trip). I have enough coin for some coilovers which I may get, if I do I'll pm you.

No probs, yeah i believe that would be the best way of doing it.
Yeah that would be awesome! i wouldnt even have a clue where to go in Japan haha..

Meeecra WROTE:

"Missed that one not a "coilover" rear as such separate spring and shock with the spring perches that are used to adjust spring height. <BR><BR>My rear shocks have thread on them and an adjustable c spanner ring. I'm going to pull it all out of the car soon so I'll take a bunch of photos.

And yep, thats what i meant. Having those 'thread' on the shocks are what helps keep the springs captive as it shortens or lengthens the shock:)

CMF_Meeecra

» CMF Member
Hmm hit a bit of a hiccup today rear right has a knock, and I unscrewed the nuts on top of the rear shocks and turned the Allen key on the top of the struts, no click they just kinda spin freely, which led me to my next discovery as I turn them they get lower. I'm pretty confused now. :/

CMF_ToToL

» CMF Member
That's weird, mine has D2 coil overs, and the length of the shocks is adjustable, and the rear has a "seat" for the springs that can be lifted.As niICK says, the allen key's hole stiff or soft the shock.On mine i came from a "too-dropped" car that touches on every road bumps,and stiff was way too hard, making rides awfully uncomfortable.
Note that a too-dropped-rear can make front wheels loose traction in turns, best is little lower at the front (My 2 cents!).What's the brand of your coilovers?

Back