ride height

CMF_TicTac

» CMF Member
i have noticed that is Aus people seem to lower their micras but i hardly see them slammed, why is this. my lil micra is comming along quite nicely but im still not happy with the ride height and its already lowered on kings wit 15s. it looks good and like a lowered car but hasnt got that squat look about it.

with a little bit of research i have decided to get koni adjustables (multiple perch settings)for the front but wat is the best way of lowering the rear for an adjustable height.

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Tic-tac,

Your kings springs would be 30mm lower than standard.

K-Mac make springs that are 50mm lower than standard for the micra. http://www.k-mac.com.au/

"eM" and "jammin" have these fitted to their cars and they look excellent in real life. Nice and low !. This seems to be about the lowest you can go and still be a practical road car. Apparently the ride is a lot rougher through.

A picture of eM's car is here ;
http://www.micra.com.au/community/member.php?userid=138

If you are after adjustable height suspension I suspect you will need to get a coil-over kit from japan.

CMF_TicTac

» CMF Member
a mate wit an eg civic has koni adjustables and each shock has 3 perch height settings as well as the damper adjust. are micra one different?

the circle of friends im in with are really into the track scene and follow the JDM theory.

their small motto is "too low to tow". this has sorta rubbed off on me

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
When speaking with a suspension "expert" earlier this week regarding King Springs,He advised me that on a Nissan Micra the Kings being 30mm lower than standard was the lowest you can go.

If you keep everything else standard and just change to an adjustable pan-hard rod and lower springs the lowest is 30mm because the springs will fall out other wise.

Can anybody out there back this up, Or is it just that this guy is full of ****. Please comment as i'm interested to no if this is possible or has happened to anyone.

Cheers Tony

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
its only the rears that could fall out. i have about 50/55mm drop and they wont fall out but they get very loose when not under any load.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Tony, your expert isnt quite right in saying that the springs will fall out.

But he's got a point in that any lower really does require suitably shorter shocks so that there's decent suspension travel.

Lower is not always better.

Although, fully colour coded SLX's look hot when slammed. hehe

cisco

» CMF Member
Yes Tony, that guy is "full of ****".

Its usually because people who don't give a rats about selling proper gear for the micra just say that to be able to sell their standard crappy 30mm springs. 30mm lowered springs are pretty lame compared to what you can get.

Whitelines are 42mm and they are totally captive and can't possibly fall out.

All the generic places who just sell crappy 30mm lowered springs haven't put any decent research into the micra on an individual basis. Its just a standard formula to lower any car by 30mm without really looking into the car on an individual basis. Plus I think some lame insurance companies have a generic rule about cars only being able to be lowered a maximum of 30mm, that's another reason why 30mm springs are so common.

I've had dodgy cut springs that were mega low years ago, and although they were definately not captive and fell out when you jacked the car up, they still never actually fell out on the street because the car's weight keeps pushing down on them. You'd have to get air or something for them to come out. But still I as lucky, dodgy uncaptive springs are dangerous!

cisco

» CMF Member
In my opinion Kings for the micra are a waste of time. They are better than standard springs, but if you're going to upgrade, then spend the money on something really worthwhile. Whiteline are the best aftermarket springs you can buy without going to coilovers etc. The whitelines make the car sit at a nice ride height, just that little bit extra really makes all the difference. A micra still looks high with Kings, its not aesthetically pleasing.

The whitelines are firmer and handle better but still have excellent bump handling ability. Go the whitelines!

CMF_eM

» CMF Member
yeah my car is pretty bumpy but im used to it now. kmacs with the standard super s wheels is really low, my car scraped heaps until I got the 15". I haven't had any problems but get a whiteline panhard rod for sure. I have no idea how much lower my car is but if you come to the meet you can have a look :)

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Thanks Em, But i'm not sure if i can make it yet.

Work is flat out i work Saturdays as part of my normal week and i've been doing Sundays for months now as well.

I think i'd like to wait till next year when all my parts/gear is fitted.

I'll see how i go.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
The time I'd like to get to the BBQ location will be from 12PM to 1PM. From there we'll just hang around for an hour or two, share gossip, etc etc.

We'll be taking pictures this time - its about time we started documenting our travels.

I'll be finalising the details next week. :)

Back