Replacing Sump Pan - A Couple of Questions

cj_uk

Site Supporter
Hi Guy's,

I'm going to replace the sump on the other half's Micra, due to it leaking, common I know. I just need to ask a couple of questions:

1 - Can the sump be replaced without removing the exhaust downpipe ?

2 - For what I've read, the only gaskets are the two rubber end ones, so I need to use sealant on the pan, correct ?

Many thanks

Craig

it can be done without removing the exhaust yes. they aren't interference fit, but it will make it more awkward. i just use instant gasket for the sump etc. only use a proper original gasket for the head.

Thanks Tom, I'm just fearful that if I try and undo the downpipe or the manifold, the studs might break

I always remove the downpipe, so much more room

I also alway put the half moons onto the block first, then put the sump up onto them. Less chance of then shifting and not sealing properly

Thanks Tom, I'm just fearful that if I try and undo the downpipe or the manifold, the studs might break

when i had to remove, i left mine to soak in a mixture of double TT (carplans equivalent of WD40) and 3-in-1. overnight. taped a plastic bag around them and filled them to the top of the bolthead on the cat. i just kept applying mix on a brush to the underneath bolt. always use 6-sided sockets, and a bit of heat doesn't hurt.

Sorry for the delay with an update guy's. I removed and replaced the sump a couple of weeks ago. I removed the exhaust manifold from the head and just moved the manifold/downpipe out the way so I could removed the sump. All in all it took me about 4 hours, with no problems. The next day I replaced the water pump as it was making an 'eek' type sound everytime you turned off the engine, once the old one was removed I could feel the bearing was binding in certain positions. Another job jobbed :)

I had a MOT advisory that said "porous sump" . I jetwashed the sump and checked it after 24 hours. The leak was coming from the drain plug washer. During a previous oil change, some grit got trapped under the washer and it scored the washer when tightened. That created a small channel for the oil to slowly leak out.

Back