Replacing a Gearbox. What would you do?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
A girly friend of mine is in a bit of a situation, the gearbox has 'gone' on her 1.6 Peugeot 206. The options are:

• Repair (I don't know what's wrong with it)
  • Buy a reconditioned box
  • Buy a second hand box, ebay, salvage etc.
  • Buy a new box
When my K10 box went, I had it reconditioned which was fairly cheap, the work was warranted and you know it is guaranteed to work fine. A second hand box could be money down the toilet, speaking from experience when i bought mine in 'reconditioned' condition, it lasted no time at all, but flip side they're usually cheap.. Obviously you have labour costs and oils to consider if your constantly having to replace crap boxes too. Buying a full reconditioned box is also a good idea too, and brand new ones are too expensive.. but, what would do you guys do when your gearboxes go?

if it's an old piece of crap, get a new car
If it's an old piece of crap but she doesn't want a new car then just get a 2nd hand one
If it's still got life left in it then get it recon'd, or a recon'd box
If it's reasonably new with loads of life left in it, get a new one.

arnold

i would check there are no inherent faults on that type of g/box, then buy a £50 scrappie one,
i think a recon would be about £250 (any cheaper recon would be a jetwashed only, scrappie one fwn)
a clutch fitting place would probably be the cheapest labour charge (but experienced) option eh

theres a comon fault .it will have dropped the diff get it reconed and dont drive it far cause it wears the casing done loads of them

206's are nice cars so i would keep and i think your best bet would be to get the current gear box recondition. Any second hand gearbox just isn't worth the risk, cost and extra agro.

Yeah that's generally how i see it too Whip. The GTI 180 is a very nice 206 (although that isn't what she's got lol). I'll tell her what you've all said (apart from buying another car :p)

Back