Replacement Key.

Hi all.

Where can I get a replacement key cut for my 1999 Micra 1.0, other than from a Nissan dealer? I have two original keys with the car but one has just snapped and the other seems weak, so I would like to use it as a pattern for a new key to be cut.

I don't need the electronic bit in the key head to lock & unlock the door remotely, just a simple key to use manually, as long as it will start the car!

Would it be possible to get a second-hand key and have it re-programmed? If so, by whom?

All useful suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You can get a key cut at any good locksmiths, I've seen the leccy bits for sale on ebay. I don't bother with central locking myself, its never worked on mine anyway...just lean over and click....done.

Hi all.

Where can I get a replacement key cut for my 1999 Micra 1.0, other than from a Nissan dealer? I have two original keys with the car but one has just snapped and the other seems weak, so I would like to use it as a pattern for a new key to be cut.

I don't need the electronic bit in the key head to lock & unlock the door remotely, just a simple key to use manually, as long as it will start the car!

Would it be possible to get a second-hand key and have it re-programmed? If so, by whom?

All useful suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

i once asked at a timpsons place , i think it was £30 for a programmed copy that would work as usual. saying that still need to go back and get that key made up :p

Your key has a transponder in it whether it has a central locking button on it or not. The transponder talks to the immobiliser so a newly cut key not programmed will mechanically open the doors, release the steering lock but the car will not start.
Most timsons etc can cut you a key with transponder, I didn't think they programmed transponders. If its £30 all in it will be alot cheaper than Nissan. If they dont program you can have a transponder key cut and locate an auto locksmith to program the transponder. It may be cheaper to get the auto locksmith to do the whole job, you'll have to phone around for the best price.

Your key has a transponder in it whether it has a central locking button on it or not. The transponder talks to the immobiliser so a newly cut key not programmed will mechanically open the doors, release the steering lock but the car will not start.
Most timsons etc can cut you a key with transponder, I didn't think they programmed transponders. If its £30 all in it will be alot cheaper than Nissan. If they dont program you can have a transponder key cut and locate an auto locksmith to program the transponder. It may be cheaper to get the auto locksmith to do the whole job, you'll have to phone around for the best price.

thats what i thought , i dont have central locking but he did put it into a machine to see if he could copy the code from it and the guy said yes so i dont see why it wouldnt of worked :)

Thanks for the info. chaps. I have located a Timpson key cutting shop who told me they could cut a new key and copy the chip info from the old key onto it for between £40 - £55. Not sure why the variation in price, but will find out soon. No other local key cutting shop or locksmith in my area could do it, and Nissan would charge double that, so it looks as if I have Hobson's choice.

Back