Repair advice please!

Hello! First time poster.

I've just bought myself a white 1989 LS Imperial (whom I have aptly named Stormtrooper. Geddit? Imperial?), but it failed the MOT. We knew we were taking a risk in getting it as she's obviously an old bird and liable to have a few issues, and thankfully there's nothing wrong with the engine, which was overhauled not long ago.

The front right shock absorber needs replacing, which is the only 'big' job o the (long) MOT fail list as far as I can see. It needed some welding, which a friend of ours did for us for free, the break on the farside back left wheel is sticking, the biting point on the clutch is too high, neither of the rear number plate lights work, the nearside front light isn't working properly, and she needs dust cap covers replaced on the track rod ends (so maybe just replacing the track rods entirely?)

I'm hoping this isn't going to cost us a fortune. She's my first car as a new driver, but our second Micra (we had a '91 LS in red a few years ago that we loved but sadly had to scrap as we couldn't afford to repair it when it went bust).

My questions are:

- Any idea how much this is likely to cost in parts? The labour will be £55 an hour at our mechanics.

- How easy is it to do repairs like this myself? I'm a keen metalworker and have a real interest in cars, but never tried to fix one myself. Would love to be able to take care of her myself, and would have had a crack at these repairs myself but I need her up and running by the beginning of December so wanted to just get it done 'properly' this time.

Thanks.

Back