removing water pump drive belt

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi,

I am trying to remove the water pump drive belt on my k11 98 si micra (with power steering). In the haynes manual it says that there is a drivebelt idler tensioner, but I do not seem to have one. I have attached a picture of what I can see on through the removed wheel arch. Any advice on how I am meant to remove the tension in this drive belt would be great.

Thanks,

Chris.

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
picture

Attachments

• 42157.jpg
    42157.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 67

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
ChrisB WROTE:

"in the haynes manual this is meant to be a two spanner job :). Not sure if I am up for removing the entire engine yet!

nooooo, i meant just lower the one end down a few inches, and then lift it up for better axcess to the w/pump :)

frank

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The pulley on the left in the photo looks like it is mounted so that it will pivot about the bolt at the bottom of the triangular shaped bracket below it.

My K11 has a tensioner accessible from below for adjusting the water pump tension. It pushes against the back of the belt. On my K11 this belt also runs the power steer.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
they,ll be a slotted adjusting bracket at the top (arrowed) surely ?
and like i say, if need be, remove the 1 engine mount and lift the engine up or lower it down for better access (5 minute job)

frank

Attachments

• 53363.jpg
    53363.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 54

CMF_mainliner

» CMF Member
Success at last!

Today I drove the Micra up onto ramps. After much contortion (!), and the use of mirrors, I was able to locate an adjustment slot and associated tensioner bolt on the steering pump mounting bracket. (To locate, from above, place a small mirror just above the steering pump pulley, and ‘look’ towards the centre of the engine bay).

In case anyone else has a problem, this is the procedure that I used to adjust the water pump drive belt (for models with power steering and without an idler pulley):

· Slacken the two pivot bolts at the base of the steering pump mounting bracket (access from below).
· Slacken the nut that goes through the adjustment slot (access from above).
· Use the tensioner bolt to adjust the belt (clockwise to tighten – access from below).
· Tighten all the bolts.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Back