Removing the front bumper

I need to remove the bumper on my micra 1998 to check the condition of the crossmember what may need replacing how do I go about taking the bumper off to check the cross member

Hi Jamie! Not long ago I had to weld on a new cross member on mine as it was rusty and it wouldn't pass MOT!

Taking bumper off is fairly easy its only few screws and clips that you need to make sure you undo before taking it off!

1. Make sure you take of the front grill. Need flat head screwdriver and just twists the clips in-between the bumper and headlights till it pops out (make sure to put the into the grill first before putting it back on the car)
2. Take the headlight off. Headlights should have 3-4 screws to undo and of course dont forget to undo the bulb cables on main and side lights!
3. Take the bumper off. I've done little picture for you so you can see where the clips and screws are :)

e6osw2.png

Make sure you do it nice a gently so the bottom clips and screws dont snap cause than it can be a pain to get out after!

4. Well done you now disassembled the front of your car :)

2qk352v.jpg

Good luck!

Seb

Mine was really bad at the bottom of it but not as much on top but you can get brand new from ebay very cheap and just replace it hehe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 ways, drill out all the spot welds using a 0 degree angle drill bit and a panel splitter, I used a sharpened screw driver. 2) cut out the crap bit and weld in new.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

the problem is it looks as if someone has try to repair it in the past and failed as you can see the welds around the hole so looks like a whole new cross member needed

Give yourself at least half a morning, theres lots of welds to drill out. Mines not rewelded in, just bolted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Its a pain trying to drill out the spot welds on it, I only managed to drill trough some of them! Angle grinder is what worked best for me but I saw you can buy special drill bit for spot welds but have no idea how much they are.

Back