getting the front bumper off

Hi,

today I started to remove the front bumper of my Micra. I have to because it needs welding down there on the usual place and also to fit in a GA16DE.

But I am stuck.

I have up to ten bolts that are spun.

The tricky ones are 2 for the bumper (or maybe more, then I still have to find them) and two for the fogs.

I noticed that they used parkers with a small metal plate. However, those are pretty rusted.

How do I loosen the fogs?

hi richard, cant you leave the fogs in the bumper ? and mine only has the 2 middle bolts and the 2 end screws in now (2 minute job now :grinning:)

Ah, that clears up a lot.

Is it also possible to remove the bumper with both fenders all together?

yes mate, i usually leave the headlamps in and remove the 12mm nuts behind the metal pods (but the ones behind the washer bottle are very inaccessible tho eh :suspect: (and they dont get re-fitted :wasntme:)

Thank you Frank.

So I did need to remove those 4 bolts of the metal pods. The metal pods are between the headlighs and foglights right?

I can even get the headlights out with the bumper and the fenders? :wow:: ?

That means I have to get out the whole front, right?

It looks welded just at the headlights vertical bolt. Is it?

Can you explain to me what to do after loosening the metal pods, and that bolt behind the washer fluid, I noticed that one, but it is possible.

Thank you Frank.

So I did need to remove those 4 bolts of the metal pods. The metal pods are between the headlighs and foglights right?

I can even get the headlights out with the bumper and the fenders? :wow:: ?

That means I have to get out the whole front, right?

It looks welded just at the headlights vertical bolt. Is it?

Can you explain to me what to do after loosening the metal pods, and that bolt behind the washer fluid, I noticed that one, but it is possible.

mine is just held on with a 10mm self tapper (arrow 1) and a 12mm bolt (arrows 2) either side
but you will need to remove the 12mm nuts also richard (circled)

Attachments

• SDC11979.JPG
    SDC11979.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,536
Frank, im waiting for a bumper bracket from nissan for my super s bumper (1 week wait "apparently") what exactly needs to be stripped off? does the driverside light comes off? if so when i put it back would it be all out of adjustment? also if you could give an idiots guide step by step what needs to come off first to access the bumper brackets e.t.c.

Cheers

J

Frank, im waiting for a bumper bracket from nissan for my super s bumper (1 week wait "apparently") what exactly needs to be stripped off? does the driverside light comes off? if so when i put it back would it be all out of adjustment? also if you could give an idiots guide step by step what needs to come off first to access the bumper brackets e.t.c.

Cheers

J

do you bother to read any of the previous posts in a thread J fwn

do you bother to read any of the previous posts in a thread J fwn

yeah, but dont understand, where richard is asking how to get access to the bolts where the washer bottle is, theres no explanation on that.. which is why i was asking if the driverside light unit has to come off to access that part of the brackert etc OR is there another way to get to it like maybe behind the wing cowling or something.

J

Yo, that is a good explanation!

TBH, I read your reply after having removed the bumper. I was a little fed up with the fact I couldn't access the internet in my garage yesterday (it is a 6 mile drive from my house, but somebody changed the router password and XP f-ed it up)

Also, I feel I'm under a time-pressure. 10 weeks I will have help almost every weekday with the swap, the welding and spraypainting.

Today te Dutch Micra club held it's 10th anniversary, so I even could have skipped asking this, because I got a good explanation.

I already removed the wheel arches, and what happened was as follows:

Did not remove head light, because of breaking them. Solution: get good second hand headlights and break those 4 silly and rusted bolts, throw away headlights.

For the grille, I wasn't smart enough to peek between the grille and the bumper. Another 4 plastic screws are hiding there.

With 2 persons, it is quite easy to remove the two outer screws with the thin metal plates. Also, by removing the headlight, it is possible to remove the wiperfluidresevoir.

Those 4 bolts on the metal pods are easy to remove now. Disconnect fog connectors and besides some obvious bolts, if I'm not mistaken the bumper will come off now. (I removed the bumper with a friend, so I might have missed something). There is absolutely no need to destroy the fogs. Also be aware of possible (existing) bumper crackings, when pulling the bumper and it gets stuck somewhere.

My €0,02

002-k11-removedbumper.jpg

I'm outta here. Out of this thread, I mean.

:blush:

If I'm not mistaken I sold him GA16DE injectors.

But I think I never met him IRL

ahh, some info on his build would be interesting :grinning: i guess it was michael,s turbo kit (which ran for 3 yrs with no issues iirc, and a stock ecu and 5th injector ?)

Back