removing sound deadening

ok, yes i know how to remove it.. but i haven't actually gone to the effort of looking (removing carpet etc) to see how much there actually is. to those of you who have done it, is there actually a resonable amount to remove or is it a waste of time?.. i was all excited the other day and went to tackle the boot of all the deadening etc (thinking from the days of the s14 where you could remove 5kg's worth of crap just from the boot compartment) only to open the boot and go, wtf, where is the **** rofl . i just want to shed as much weight as possible without it looking stripped, i don't care whether its loud, rattly. i've already ripped out any bracket/bolt/wire/cable tie it didn't need :p

CMF_squarepants

» CMF Member
its only saves 4.5kg so ive read up...all that effort for not alot of weight to be removed...i have considered do it to mine, ive took all the black deading from behind the dash out thats heavy!

he deading is on in the front and rear foot wells, and where the rear bench used to be...

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
i thought about it but when you think about it you could save more weight by getting some light weight rims or stripping the A/C out spare tyre back seats all that ****. Carbon or fibreglass bonnet. I would rather do that for the sake of 4.5kg. I could not justify the small gain for the amount of work. But thats just me.

yeh.. i agree.. but everything else you mention costs money! this thing is budget :p, n i gotta keep the interior looking cosy.. no removing hoodlining/carpet seats etc.. for now atleast anyways. maybe when i get new seats i'll pull the carpet up and chisel the **** off if i cbf'd, on the other hand i wouldn't mind pulling up all the carpet, hiding all the wiring, painting it all up nice 2pac same colour as the car and getting some of those sexy karo car mats.. effort thou :(

sportsclassic WROTE:

"yeh, the sound deadening is a pain to take out, especially at the front as there is too many ribs in the floor!!!

true.. yeh haven't really sused it out as yet.. me and my mate have done a few 32/33/34/s14/s13's thou.. use a heatgun and just scrape the **** of, works well.. in a.. err, well ventilated area ;)

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"sportsclassic WROTE:

"yeh, the sound deadening is a pain to take out, especially at the front as there is too many ribs in the floor!!!"</div>

true.. yeh haven't really sused it out as yet.. me and my mate have done a few 32/33/34/s14/s13's thou.. use a heatgun and just scrape the **** of, works well.. in a.. err, well ventilated area ;)

**** doing it with a heat gun. If you put a little dry ice on it to cool it right down and go under witha chisel (air Chisel) it is easy as. Took me almost two full days with a heat gun in my first s13 then only bout 3 hours with a air chisel and dry ice. Works really well and no gooooey mess.

sikK11 WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:<BR><BR>"
sportsclassic WROTE:<BR><BR><BR><BR>"yeh, the sound deadening is a pain to take out, especially at the front as there is too many ribs in the floor!!!"</DIV><BR><BR><BR><BR>true.. yeh haven't really sused it out as yet.. me and my mate have done a few 32/33/34/s14/s13's thou.. use a heatgun and just scrape the **** of, works well.. in a.. err, well ventilated area ;)"</DIV><BR><BR><BR><BR>**** doing it with a heat gun. If you put a little dry ice on it to cool it right down and go under witha chisel (air Chisel) it is easy as. Took me almost two full days with a heat gun in my first s13 then only bout 3 hours with a air chisel and dry ice. Works really well and no gooooey mess.

yeh but it scratches + dents **** outa everything :(
2 days! fark, i'm using a heatgun.. not a hairdryer :p

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
oh you cheeky ****er LOL

I was using a heat gun. I only got one small hole hear my brake pedal where i went on to much of a angle. Meh. I still say you would not even notice the difference except for noise but you welcome to prove me wrong. Never know you might eve convince me to do mine

CMF_squarepants

» CMF Member
well ive been busy today and took out the rear deadening thats under where the rear bench used to be and its basiclly taken me all day to do just that one bit! never again!!!

and ive saved what 0.5kg? above foot wells weigh 1kg...added up 4.5kg alltogether. thats without adding the deadening thats behind the dash that ive also taken out that was heavier than the floor deading. rought guess ive saved 5kg from removing the dash and rear bench deading...

plus interior strip on top of that, estiamte ive saved 115kg? probs less!

just been thinking...the weight of a bag of pasta is 0.5kg!? and the deading wasnt that heavy! so iam quiessing the deading weighs 0.2kg? so ive re-moved half a bag of pasta from my car plus the rest of the interior on top of that... omg what a waste of time taking out the sound deading!

smidge

» CMF Member
i should take some photos of the stripped shell in the garage i'm about to paint/stick/install sound deadening through the whole thing, just so we've got a second opinion...

group buy on ear plugs anyone?

smidge WROTE:

"i should take some photos of the stripped shell in the garage i'm about to paint/stick/install sound deadening through the whole thing, just so we've got a second opinion...<BR><BR>group buy on ear plugs anyone?

your going to install more sound deadening? wtf..thinking of entering autosalon with the worlds biggest db micra or sum****?

smidge

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:
your going to install more sound deadening? wtf..thinking of entering autosalon with the worlds biggest db micra or sum****?

yeah cause noisy interiors suck balls, and its easy to quieten them down

Back