Sound Deadening mat options

cisco

» CMF Member
Has anyone used any of this kind of stuff and actually experience excellent results first hand?

I.e. like, "Yeah I spent a heap on this mat and I can really notice the difference, it was well worth it..".

I am semi-afraid that I could fork out a fair bit for enough of this stuff to do my doors and rear section of the car with, and not notice much of an improvement..

The potential products that I am thinking about are:
Jaycar:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3684
[Reads well, but quite expensive for only 2 300mm squares. But it could be really good and worth it, I have no idea]

Tru-fit-carpets:
http://www.tru-fitcarpets.com.au/s_shield.htm
[This stuff seems like by far the best value]

Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SELF-ADHESIV...oryZ3292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[Only $10, but you only get a single 300mm square also]

Hmm anyone got experience with any of these products?

Or any recommendations for any other products?

I might invest in some of the tru-fit stuff this weekend and have a play around with it - do the doors and rear interior under the floor and in the sides etc.

cisco

» CMF Member
Cheers micra-man. I forgot to check that site out. They are good.

Hey Tony. Well the Fairmont is very quiet, but Blue Monster is oozing a bit extra road noise than normal really because I've removed the rear seats. It was quieter before. Plus my doors have never been sound deadened. Yeah probably right though that you really get used to a quiet ride in the Fairmont. Its very smooth and quiet.

I think I have some fairly decent gains in road noise reduction to be made on blue monster though. For one, I still have a heap of bit bolt holes left gaping wide open with no bolts in them anymore where the seats and buckles used to bolt into. They are now just holes that you can see straight through out to the tyres etc.

CMF_Kirby

» CMF Member
cisco WROTE:

The potential products that I am thinking about are:

Jaycar:

<a href="http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3684" title="http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3684" target="_blank">http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AX3684</a>

[Reads well, but quite expensive for only 2 300mm squares. But it could be really good and worth it, I have no idea]

i used the Jaycar one you mentioned. a mate of mine works in the Perth store, and he was the one that recommended that one for me. he told me that 1 x sheet that was quarted and distributed on each door would be good enough. well that was what i did. works a treat. he also mentioned that "they" modeled their product closely to Dynamat
. Dynamat retails for USD$270 for: Contents: (9) 18"x 32" (457mm x 812mm) pieces of Dynamat Xtreme. that still works out heaps/sheet.

for what its worth, its stopped a lot of external road noise. stereo in cabin, sounds more 'compact' if you know what i mean. also i ripped out the clear lining between the door and door panel while i plasted the Jaycar sheets in. the clear lining buzzes when i turn the stereo up. well worth the effort to get it done right the first time even thought it cost a lil more.

Attachments

• 16987.jpg
    16987.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 36

cisco

» CMF Member
Cheers Kirby. That's good to know.

Good pickup micra-man. The top link, in a roll, seems quiet good value too. And they say "It is also amazing for attenuating road noise from steel car floors, etc." I think that's exactly what I have since removing the rear seats. Cool!

And I gather that second link is rated at being slightly improved over the first link just based on the title etc.

Good that they also give bulk discounts too, because I would probably need to buy a few pieces.

Attachments

• 16991.jpg
    16991.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Importantly cisco, what sort of condition are your door hinges in? If they're starting to sag it would be an idea to get them repaired and strengthed before loading up the doors with sound deadening weight.

cisco

» CMF Member
How much extra weight are we talking Yom? Should only be like maximum of 5kg per door, if not only like 3Kg etc.

The hinges seem to be ok, I mean, the doors open and close fine..

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Well I put under 3kg into a hyundai excel's doors and they're sagging severely around 6 months later - makes it hard to close the doors.

3dr cars are known for door hinge sagging over time because of the extra length and weight on the hinges (the extra length acts as a bit of leverage), any extra weight on them speeds up the sagging.

Its not a critical thing but its probably best to be watchful of the issue.

Attachments

• 17000.jpg
    17000.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 37

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
White Knight WROTE:

"What do you expect? It was a Hyundai.

To be brutally honest I expected the doors to fall off by December but my wishes were not granted.

Rest assured the subwoofer I installed is still working its wonders in shaking things to peices though. You may or may not be aware of how the glass is held onto the hatch in the excel. There's a few nuts holding it on. Last I checked these nuts were all partially undone and basically the whole car is vibrating, rattling, etc. The subwoofer I installed was making next door's garden shed shake when I have it a test run. Muahaha.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Haha yeh. I hate all that sort of sound stuff and people running around with big doof doof units. (haha i have a cd player and some $80 speakers I picked up on special at autobarn, they do the job better than the originals which shat themselves when I put the new CD player on them.)

It was tested on a small property of around 5 acres so hopefully it didn't annoy anyone.

Still I made a few quid from it so I'm not complaining.

cisco

» CMF Member
Look at you back out like an excel in reverse gear dumped to the redline Yom.

cisco

» CMF Member
Allright, I'm heading out to the garage to stick on some extra trim carpet on any bare metal areas that I can find. Just to tidy things up a bit. Going to pimp it up a bit as White Knight would say.

Also block up the existing bolt holes from where the seats bolt into. that should reduce the noise levels also.

cisco

» CMF Member
Well I plugged up 10 completely open thick bolt holes and ran some firm grey duct tape over them so it is all clean and totally smooth. That should reduce some bad road noise just in itself.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey Kirby,

I bought 6 packets of that Jaycar adhesive sound deadening mat on the weekend. So that is going to be like 12 330mmx330mm sheets! Enough to easily do both doors and perhaps some extra to do the rear hatch panel and whatever else I can fit it on.. That's about $140 worth of adhesive sound deadening material all up. Not to mention the $50 or so worth of 5x thicker mats stuff I also got from Jaycar to line the floor with.

Going to rip the doors apart and give them a real solid going over this Saturday. Will wrap thick electrical tape all around the lock rod mechanisms, as I read this adds a lot of weight to the and prevents them from vibrating around. Will do a real neat and tidy job of laying the adhesive mat over both doors. Really hoping that this will improve the cars NVH levels. As they are currently TERRIBLE.

I am a big enemy of NVH. I would happily add 30Kg to my car if it meant it sounded like the Fairmont does. That car puts you to sleep.

Also gear shifter and clutch pedal starting to slightly vibrate again. Clutch just needs a slight reduction in cable tension, and gear shifter bolt worked its way a fraction loose under the car. Both easy fixes. All this combined with the sound material, and the car should be a lot nicer to drive this weekend.

Gave the NISSAN VAN a workout on the weekend, picked up a 7.5Kg washing machine, and it loaded perfectly straight into the back of the micra no worries whatsoever. Only thing was that it slid a little on the cargo tray and killed my rear window tinting. But the great thing is that the tinting was starting to go purple lately and the rear left window tint is already terribly damaged, so that's just a perfect excuse to go and get the whole car re-tinted one week soon..

I'll report back as to how well the sound deadening stuff does..

cisco

» CMF Member
Just read up on some articles about how to sound deaden your doors etc.

Then went and pulled my front door trims off..

Whoa. There's quite a bit of work there. It won't be happening after work, I'm going to need full sunlight and quite a bit of time. This is definately a job for Saturday.

Those clear plastic splash sheets behind the door trim were all tattered and shagged, so I have thrown them out. The sticky stuff that previously stuck them on has gone all hard and brittle. So I'm going to remove all of that stuff with wax and grease remover and do it all properly. Going to get some 3 or 6mm MDF and cut out shapes to fill the service holes in both front doors and attach them on with DUCT tape. That will cover the large gaping holes that the micra has from the factory. Then all the sound deadening mat will be applied over the top of all that.

I'm also looking at my door trims and not liking them all that much any more. Also looking at my floor carpet and wanting a replacement, that's all tatty too. Hmm!!

But its going to all happen and look beautiful. And I think now after having a real good look at the doors, that I can dramatically improve the NVH levels in the car. They are pretty much hollow chambers with next to no sound deadening ability from the factory.

Attachments

• 18626.jpg
    18626.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 22

CMF_mighty mouse

» CMF Member
we got some stuff we just used in the doors bot floor and hatch and it weighs bugger all ma we havent tried itout yet but if its good ill yet u know

ther would be no way that there would be any more than 1kg worth of the stuf for the whole car

Back