Air Con Query

I always seem to come up with the strangest questions - but I always seem to get answers from this forum :grinning:

I have air con... Or at least I have the button for air con. I've come to the simple conclusion that it doesn't work. The button lights up when pressed - but that's as far as it gets.

My question:
My car is 9 years old and I'm assuming the air con hasn't been recharged anytime recently (or maybe ever - who knows?!). If all the gas has permeated, should it still draw a lot of power? When I press the button there isn't any change in the car's idle, no clicks, hums or whirrs... nothing! :laugh:

Do I simply need a recharge or am I looking at a dead compressor (or something...?)

Thanks (Y)

solarice

Ex. Club Member
easiest way is to look in the engine bay, do you have all the aircon stuff in there?

if you do, id check the fuses / relays.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
easiest way is to look in the engine bay, do you have all the aircon stuff in there?

if you do, id check the fuses / relays.

James

Chairman
I had this problem on my old Primera, no change in the idle or anything, I was worried it was going to be the compressor, but I took it down to Kwik Fit to get it regassed (colder or your money back - so if the compressor was bust I should get money back) and after a regas it was fine! :)

If that does turn out to fix it, remember to use it at least once a month to keep the system all good!

Aircon on cars has pressurised gas in it which over time drops.
Best way to determine your cars aircon is working is switch it on. When set at cold it should be noticably colder than outside. If it isn't it will need recharged. This can be done quite cheaply now, even Kwik fit do it!

Also check the aircon compressor in the engine bay. Start the car up, the aircon pump is the bg laternator type thing at the front of the engine on the drivers side. Get your assistant to switch the aircon button on and off. When the aircon is on the centre should spin, when its off it should stop. If it doesn't have a check of the fuses.

another thing you need to do if you have aircon is have it decontaminated. Any decent garage who can deal with aircon should be able to give your cars system an antibacterial treatment. You have to do this otherwise the aircon will start to smell of fish and you will blow nasties (including legionaires disease!) about your car!

OP
OP
Slug
I had this problem on my old Primera, no change in the idle or anything, I was worried it was going to be the compressor, but I took it down to Kwik Fit to get it regassed (colder or your money back - so if the compressor was bust I should get money back) and after a regas it was fine! :)

That's the sort of answer I was looking for :)
I'll check the compressor first (thanks) then look at getting it topped up and having the anti-fishy-fungal treatment.