Refuelling Frequency

CMF_hotshooter

» CMF Member
How often do you refuel? There are some points about refuelling that I want some thoughts about. They could be a fact or just a myth
1. Refuelling when the tank is 3/4 full is better than refuelling when it is almost empty. They say this makes the car more efficient. TRUE or FALSE?
2. Refuelling early in the morning is cheaper. TRUE or FALSE?
3. Refuelling from different fuel stations is not advisable(e.g. refuellin from Shell, then refuelling at Caltex the next time). TRUE or FALSE?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
1) False. Keep as little fuel in the tank as possible for best possible performance (less overall vehicle weight) and economy (lighter car = less work engine has to do to move the car).

2) Depends on what day of the week and area you live in. Fuel will be more expensive in richer areas. FUel will be more expensive towards the end of the week as people get paid their wages and the weekend gets closer. Fuel is usually at its cheapest on Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings here in Brisbane.

3) It is best to keep with the one type of fuel but all petrol WILL mix together without issues and the CG series engines aren't exactly stressed to make the power they already do so it really doesn't matter all that much. If you had a highly tuned turbo 1.3L then yes you might want to stick to the brand of fuel that you got the vehicle tuned with. Aftermarket tunes typically don't have the same margin for fuel differences as a factory tune.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I always run out my tank 'til the fuel light comes on, then go about 30km more before I refuel it. I have been filling up completely with V-Power since I got the car. Thought it was a good thing to be consistant, so there you go.

Been thinking about switching to United ethanol 95 or Boost 98, but I dunno yet. V-Power is pretty expensive.. I don't always end up going empty on a tuesday night. Oh and also, I always fill up at nighttime because the fuel is slightly more dense when it's colder :p However, that might be another myth too. Ah well.

---dens

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
2) Is correct from teh point of view that the fuel could be more dense although the tanks are probably burried deep enough in most places to keep an even temperature. Australia has the most variable fuel prices of any coutry I know of.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Fuel tanks are buried pretty deep so temperature will not affect density.Yes petrol prices tend to be cheaper on a Tuesday comapred to a Friday. Why is this so? Consumers being ripped off by fuel companies.Long weekends a classic example.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Because Australian fuel companies are run by thieves.
I've lived & worked in a couple of dozen different countries. Australia is truely exceptional.
Anyway, everybody knows how it works. It doesn't take much forward planning to avoid buying when you know prices will be high.

I would guess there are places in the world where the tanks aren't burried so deep or may even be on the surface. Definitely seen diesel tanks in Australia like that (saw new ones installed last year). I'd hope there was some temperature compensation.

CMF_hotshooter

» CMF Member
I read somewhere from a Reader's Digest magazine that the less frequent you refuel, the better. They said it was because refuelling less frequently minimizes air going into the gas tank.

Back