Rear Brake Compensator K11

Has anyone removed the Rear Brake Compensator??

I`m thinking of removing it totaly on my k11 ( 1.8 zx bluebird turbo engine fitted ) and was wondering what effects it might have on the braking if any. I know what its there for but can it do without it

Reason for removal in the first instance is it was rusty as F*** so was the brake pipe ends, nightmare.

any thoughts are more than appreciated.

you might suffer lock-ups on the rear without it mark :eek: depends what setup you have on the front i guess

We have but we run separate master cylinders with bias control.

As a basic rule of thumb, if you are considering removing the rear compensator, I would recommend doing so with a form of bias control in the system to enable you to have auxiliary control over rear line pressure as a safeguard so you can compensate for varying surface conditions, tyre choice and vehicle set up., (AP do a good twin bore bias valve for dual line systems). Doubly so if it is a road car. I experienced a seized master cylinder on a V12 e-type once which left us only with rear brakes and that was some scary #### I tell you!

How things are at the moment will depend on your master cylinder to caliper piston areas front & rear. If you are running larger front calipers, which I expect maybe the case, then you maybe even slightly under braked at the rear for a given pedal load. Easiest way to get an idea of where things are is to get the car up on a brake tester and record the braking loads on each wheel to determine what your static bias is and go from there...

The question really is, is it worth the effort and do you have any other goals other than to remove corroded brake pipes.

To echo lowrider above the rear compensator on mine was binned for a tilton bias valve... works well an is quite cheap too..

Im with Frank on not running one at all however wouldnt want to be locking the back up :confused:

Back