Rattling noise, 1.5 diesel, help!

Hi everyone,
I have a diesel 1.5 '07 micra 'Activ'. I am a driving instructor. Ever since I bought the car, it has made a rattling noise which sounds awful. Everyone says 'Oh, it's a diesel, they are all noisy', but I'm sure it's not supposed to sound like that! All my pupils notice it and the ones that are mechanics all say it sounds horrible and shouldn't be there.

Anyway, the noise is most noticeable at about 1.5 revs, going between 25 and 35 mph in 3rd or 4th. It is there at other times but that's when it sounds at its worst. It happens when I apply the gas, or as I come off the gas. It isn't related to the clutch. When I'm going along steadily at about 30mph it sounds awful, you can here it a mile away.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem? I recently had a hire car which was a Polo diesel, and that didn't make a noise at all.

While I'm here, the brake has also started squeeking a bit when it is released (not applied), could this mean the pads need looking at?

Thanks for any advice!

Always the first answer on the Forum, possibly the Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield. But that is usually on petrol I've never seen a micra diesel engine,

Yes, I have heard it could be the heat shields. I have no idea what that is, but I take it's something I'd need to get fixed in a garage?

if it comes and goes, something may be touching the body when the engine moves around in its mounts (ie, exhaust ? )
and the brakepads may just need the shims greasing up :)

Back