• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Rally/Autotest Car

Emm... Hi... First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Paul but you can call me woody. I'm 15 and a student, this is my 4th car and my longest project. First car i had was a Seat Ibiza and then a Peugeot 106 before getting a 1 litre micra a couple of years ago for christmas. All of them were either scrapped or sold to fund my current project. A 1.4 2002 Micra. Everything has either been done by myself or my dad helping me so this is a list of spec so far;

Interior
-Two low back bucket seats-leather
-Suede wheel- Deep dished
-Boss
-Rear seats removed..ish (go back in or stay out depending on the event)
-Radio Removed
-Sound deadening from under the rear seats removed.

Suspension
-Front- Coilovers damper adjustable (SPAX)
-Rear- Standard..saving up
-Dropped 35mm all round (APEX)

Exterior
-Spoiler
-White wheels
-White Roof

Engine
-Skimmed head, painted and then polished writting ontop.
-Clutch
-Performance air filter.
-Oil change
-Oil Filter
-Fuel Filter
-New plugs
-Water Pump
-Thermostat
-Fan overide switch
-Quick shift

Exhaust
-Standard at the minute- Plans are to get a 4-2-1 manifold de cat and a straight through with performance backbox.

Wheels (13")
Tyres
-Front-need wider ones but atm 155-65
-Back-135-70

Brakes
-Braided Hose pipes
-DIAMOND front pads, new discs
-REALLY tight handbrake

So i picked this up in Feburary of last year (2011). So I was the proud owner of a 1.4 micra :D. Completly standard...Brought it home and got to work. Everything had to come out, started to strip it and then my dad told me if I did to much to it then the organisers of autotest wouldn't let me run as I am a junior and ment to be running in the "production class"(completly standard car) So everything went back in and I invested in a new clutch and gearbox oil and new engine oil. I sanded the wheels myself and got them sprayed. Then the next big Item was the sunstrip and roof done with white vinyl. Then i couldnt hold out any longer and had to bite the bullet. I bought new suspension for the front, it really deseerved it. I set about descretly lightening it as the less weight it has to pull the better the acceleration.(Autotesting is all about acceleration as your rarely out of first)

I have done a couple of events in it...
-TSCC (Thoroughbreed and Sport Car Club) -Autotest.
-PMC (Police Motor Club) -Autotest in Carrickfergus.
-PMC -Autotest in Carrickfergus.
-MGCC (MG Car Club) -Production Car Trial
-MGCC -Production Car Trial
-PPMC (Peak Performance Motor Club) -Autotest

Iv always been the youngest competator and never had a dead last Finish so in my books thats pretty good :D. My best finish was in the second PCT (2nd) and my worst in the first PCT (33rd) (I was having a bad day, However I still didnt finish last) :p

My first ever event was an autotest held by TSCC. This was my first ever autotest so was very nervous. My dad had to sit beside me as im a junior so i think he wsa as nervous as me!!

IMAG0345.jpg
[/IMG]?

What does everybody think of painting the chrome at the front white? and the wing mirrors? and the grey plastic at the bottom of the front bumper black? Ill remove the side strips soon and get the spoiler on when it arrives.

Got the head skimmed and painted the rocker cover. I think itll look well once its on...I have an autotest on Saturday and I havnt driven it since the quickshift, Skimmed head and semi bucket seats went in.. hopefully it should be fine. I could have done with a bit of practice though.

Thanks Ill need it!! iv always competed against adults so theres another couple of juniors out so it should be a great day :D

Just a quick update.... Spoiler arrived this morning :D(second hand so i didn't have to paint it but its scuffed so ill have to paint it anyway grrr :mad:) I also sourced wheel spacers to push the wheels out abit as their hidden in the back arches since i droppped it (because i lightened it so much it sat high so by dropping it down i pretty much put it back to normal ride hight so i might get 50 or 60mm lowering springs...possibly, it is tempting).Anyway, neither the spoiler nor spacers will get down before the competition tomorrow as i dont even have my car at the minute, Its getting the head put back on today and ill hopefully get it tonight to put the passenger semi bucket seat in and go out for a throw to use my quickshift and new wheel, give it a wash and give it a once over with polish. Presuming it runs fine with no immediate fixes needed, I'll then paint the plastic on the front bumper grey and put my spoiler on and that will do me for a while untill Money is available.

Yeah drivers side one is in but it had to get away to get the engine stripped so the passenger on is sitting with my spoiler pre fitted on the standard seat base.

Okay so got my car back tonight, seats in, loaded up on the trailer and a couple of photos taken. It's was dark so the photos are crap ill get better ones tomorrow in day light
IMAG1371.jpg

IMAG1372.jpg

515c7d3c-37a6-43c6-a6f7-a23ac6470da8.jpg

Hi everybody back from an autotest was absolutly brilliant fun.
IMAG1380.jpg

IMAG1379.jpg

As you can see the handbrake button is taped in...:D
IMAG1378.jpg

I didn't do to badly in the autotest I finished 33rd out of 50 overall and 3rd out of 7 in the junior class. Brilliant days fun !!!!

Love the no nonsense approach to this car - parts and then get right out there and hoon about in it :D Sounds like it did pretty good at the autotest too

Seats are from santas sleigh :p they were bought from motorsport and spares in Ballymena. The no nonsense approach will have to wait for a while because i seem to have run out of money :p however spoiler still has to go on and i realised i didnt post a picture of the rocker cover so that will be posted soon :D

Oh Iv also decided not to drop it any further as A) I cant afford it and B) the autotest today was rough so if i dropped it any further she would have bottomed out :/

IMAG1383.jpg

3rd in junior category :D I could have got second but on the last test i clipped a cone with my wing mirror so that was 5 seconds lost but fair play to the two juniors who beat me they drove flawlessly all day Mark Geraghty 1st and James Fraizer 2nd.

Okay...bit of an announcement :( my dad who dual drove with me finished 9th so shows you what the wee cars capable off compared with my 33rd place finish... defiantly shows that its a quick car, bearing in mind he was up against autotest specials... such as stripped to the bare shell novas minis corsas and even a metro so yeah experience over exuberant driving style is the way to go.

just a quickupdate will get spoiler on soon and then thats all I'll do to it. Ill work on my autotester for when im 16 and then turn the micra into a rally car!! :D

What a nice sight!!
IMAG1407.jpg

The light isnt good but hats her minus the back seats
IMAG1408.jpg

IMAG1410.jpg

Over here in Northern Ireland there was a fair bit of snow

IMAG1416.jpg

How could I resist?!?!?!

IMAG1417.jpg

I couldnt!

I went out on Friday night on my alloys, with narrow tyres on at the back and they cut down through the snow so the back end was quick grippy. Then on Sunday morning I put the steels on which had wide bald tyres at the back so they slid over the snow making it REALLY tail happy :D:D:D

IMAG1434.jpg

Steels

IMAG1432.jpg

The slush was even slippier :D

And Finally as promised a picture of the polished writing and red rocker cover.
The writing still needs a bit of work and then finished so it doesn't corrode.
IMAG1435.jpg

Great progress and really nice micra. :D wish i had your garage :O btw how did you polish the rocker cover letters??
There not actually polished yet abit of work still needed but exams came round so it was abandoned for a while but there over so back to what really matters....rally cars
:D

Havnt written in a while... Got the bumpstrips off and a sticker on advertising stopastride.com
IMAG1517_zps7728247d.jpg

IMAG1521_zps386b337c.jpg

IMAG1522_zps6fdf1a23.jpg

STICKER
IMAG1523_zps50d5e18f.jpg

White roofed wonders
IMAG1525_zps2af0538f.jpg

I saw this outside my school mates laughing their heads off but i loved it and want to do a shoot with him anybody recognize him or the car??
IMAG1505_zpse600f5f5.jpg

Ha!! wouldn't quite say that. I'm only fifteen and the garage is my whole families, that's where we keep all the rally cars, I only own the micra and the red kit car.... That I'm gonna use as an autotester when the micra gets caged and turned into a rally car.

A rattle came into her at the autotest I reckon its the exhaust whilst my dad thinks its the heat shield so it'll be coming off and a new exhaust when i can afford it.
Okay so this is the list of stuff that needs done:

-New exhaust
-New rear shocks
-Strut brace
-Wheel camber and spacers
-Vinyl sticker of the name of my dads company

Theres another event on saturday run by TSCC at millisle airfield (http://www.tsccni.info/2013/02/24/tsccni-autotest-march-2nd/) so ill hopefully get another run out :D if your near the area be sure to drop by everybody is really friendly and its a great place to talk cars (and not have the other person looking at you blankly nodding and smiling polity not having the faintest idea what you are talking about) and admire peoples cars and driving skills.

Hey havent written in a while i finally got my spoiler fitted and iv been saving up for new rear dampers but i may need to invest in new rubber all round... And spend a bit of time on my kit car ill keep updating as i upgrade but i imagine it wont be for a while now

Had a competition yesterday and the mighty micra was a bit lumpy and dead low down so i have ordered plugs to get her off the line a bit quicker and the acceleration back.

Came 11th overall out of 21 and 2nd in class behind my dad who was 9th and first in class.

Back