Radiator Hose Diameter?

Micra Jim

Ex. Club Member
My radiator hose has a crack in it, which sprays coolant mixture all over the engine bay, which produces a nice (!) smell.

Does anyone know the diameter of the radiator hose so i can replace it, as a search provides nothing, and Haynes doesn't mention it.

I need this so i know which hose to get a generic one from Halfrauds.

Thanks!

hi micra jim which radiator hose is it you want to no about as you will have one in and one out hose and possibly more not sure without looking and if u take your broke hose off u can measure the id yourself with a vernier not sure on this spelling lol anyway hope this helps

Cheers.

Its the one that enters the top right corner of the radiator, 'S' shaped one. Not sure if it's in or out.

I don't want to take it off just yet, as air will get into the system before i have got the replacement part.

ok i see well u will get air in there if u got a cracked pipe and when u change it it will have lots more air in there this is the only way i can think off is taking your one off and measuring it up unless some one else has the id already

its 25mm ID i just bought this, depends what you want really : >>>Coolant Hose<<<

520803491a6331126264l.jpg

If its either of the red ones in the pics (top and bottom hoses) then they're 25mm ID

Well i fitted the raditor hose, got one from Halfrauds (HFH205).

Still over heating to max on the dial :( I now get a rattle from somewhere drivers side, when ever i accelerate and only when i accelerate.

I went to release some air from the system, by loosening the pipe a little and given it abit of a wobble. To then find out that part of raditor where the hose connects and come off inside the new hose!! Though luckly i can still attach the hose to the raditor.

Anyone got any ideas? is there a bleed tap anywhere to get rid of an air lock?

Ta.

Also, if it helps, there is no heat coming through the heaters in the car.

if its the heater vents that are directed towards you then there won't be as 90% of k10s dont have heat there! lol there should be if you put it on the windscreen!

water pump on mine went...sounded like metal grinding, turned out to be the baring had gone....is the fan still working? is it still loosing water?

No heat from the heaters on the windscreen.

Water pump was changed from about a year ago.

Fan doesn't spin at all. Though i believe now there is no leaks.

Im trying to bleed the air out of the system, but not 100% sure on how to do it. , as this might be the problem? Is there no airlock tap, or which is the best pipe to loosen and try?

Ta :)

Im trying to bleed the air out of the system, but not 100% sure on how to do it. , as this might be the problem? Is there no airlock tap, or which is the best pipe to loosen and try?

Ta :)

Well best bet is to pull the plug on the radiator at the bottom....drain everything out....maybe shake the car lol....then re-fill it....then start up...run for about 5mins...then carefully take the radiator cap off and let the excess water come out and check for leaks as the fan wont spin if the system has no water init....

The one question nobody can answer about the k10 i believe is ..... "why dont the front heaters work?" every k10 i have had they haven't! lol

Cool, will try.

Design fault i reckon, i guess it's easily fixed, by getting tumble dryer tubing and re-routing the air?!??

Have you checked the Thermostat at all? If that's fubarred then your car will overheat.

Have you done a Flush through both ways?

Are you parked Level?
If so, Jack the front of the Car up and remove the radiator Cap, Air rises so the trapped Air will eventually come out, 'squeeze' all the pipes to get any trapped air moving whilst engine is running.

Another alterrnative is to undo the Outlet Pipe there are 2 water pipes, the one on the right is the one you want.

P1010097.jpg

With the Engine running, loosen this pipe off and air should come out, you'll get a little Coolent loss and maybe some crud coming out.

I usually loosen off the top hose and make a gap of 1/2" whilst the Engine is running, you should be able to see that the water is moving and the Air should come out IF the Thermostat is working as normal, when this is done then top up the radiator to just below where the hole is for the overflow.

P1010094.jpg

Is it possible for the thermostat is die if it has been running on hot much? Cause i will check my thermostat soon.

Mirca 110 cheers for the pictures and advice, will be following it shortly. I did loosen the right pipe in the first picture, but no air was present.

In the second picture, i have done that and water and air did come out, but ive since taken of the pipe again, so i guess undone that! Is it normal for that pipe you are holding in that picture to be very hot to touch? Just seems to be TOO hot to touch, thats all.

edit: also does it matter if the pipe snakes up and round a bit (problems with coolant circulation etc.)?

The top hose can get quite hot. The pipe you have there was probably bought from Halfords? looks a little longer than normal but i can't see there being any problems unless the Pump is old and worn and can't handle the extra amount but i doubt it.

I've never heard of a Thermostat dying because of the Heat but they do just 'give up' on occasion. Place it in a Clear bowl of boiling hot water and watch the Thermostat closly to see if anything moves, if it doesn't then it's time for a New one. they are cheapish. When replacing just make sure the 'toggle' (little rattly thing on the Thermostat) is at the top.

With the Engine running you should be able to see the water moving at the Radiator filler hole when up to Temperature.

Right job done!!

Jack'd up the front of the car, left the car running.

While the engine was heating up, i undone the radiator cap, and filled the raditor with water, up untill you can see it. Then i started to move and squeeze the pipes mentioned above, and saw bubbles coming up through the raditor and burping out.

I did this for about 10 minutes, untill i was statisfied, and before i 'un jacked the car i check my heater in the car and some nice warm air came through. It was an joyous occassion!! Hah :)

So i guess, running my car with the split hose led to a lot of air getting into the cooling system over that time.

Just had a run around the block, and is running slightly cooler then it was before the split, so im very happy!

Cheers guys for the help!!!

Oh, and that rattle from before has disappeared! 0:)

Back