Radiator Fan Wiring

CMF_bopol

» CMF Member
Happy new Year Everyone!

just found out that my micra/march radiator fan only turns on when aircon is on. good thing i always use ac but there are times when i dont really need ac, especially during long travels with steep climbs... i want to re-wire the radiator fan to turn on the moment i turn on the engine...has anyone done this before? or does anyone have the the electrical diagram?

regards,

Paul

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
Sound like ur fan is working fine its meant to turn on when ur AC is on as ur condersor-radiator is giving out heat. From what i notice the factory micra radiator is very good my car fan hardly turn on as the cooling from when the car is moving is enough to cool the temp. One way to test it is park the car and just keep it above 2000rpm for about 5 minutes and u should see the fan turn on. Also if the car is not overheating then just leave it alone is the best advice.

CMF_bopol

» CMF Member
thanks for the info mimz! =)

i forgot to mention that the radiator fan does not turn on even after several minutes which causes the car to overheat especially during heavy traffic =(
even if my engine is still cold, as long as i turn on my ac, the rad fan also turns on...so the radiator fan and ac fan somehow operates in parallel...
my bad =)
also, i had the thermostat removed coz it was not working and the valve no longer opens which caused overheating...im not sure if the removal of the thermostat affected the operation of the radiator fan...if it did, id either buy a new thermostat or go ahead with the re-wiring...lol

which do you think is the better option?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
first take out and check the temp gauge sensor and ecu coolant temp sensors are working and within spec using hot water, thermometer and multimeter. gauge sensor is the smaller one with a single blade terminal and ecu temp sensor is the bigger sensor with 2 pin terminal, both are located beneath the dizzy.

if the gauge sensors faulty you'll get a misreading or it'll go red when the engine could actually be running normal.

if the ecu coolant sensors faulty, the ecu maybe reading a cooler temp or none at all therefore never turning the fan on and also the fuel/ign may run on a richer coldstart mapping that'll waste fuel and affect idle speed.

next is to replace and properly air bleed the thermostat cos it's essencial for proper temp management

finally diagnose the fan if its still overheating.

Back