Radiator Fan -only comes on for 10-20 sec. periods

I have a 1988 Micra K10 1.0 GSX Automatic.

My radiator fan only comes on rarely for 10-20 sec. periods.
I checked it when it had warmed up & stationary, the fan occasionally came on for 10, 15, 20 sec. bursts.

I wouldn't have thought these very short periods were enough to cool the system down enough.

Is this normal ??

mine never goes on, in traffic i can practically watch the gauge go up and up and up, it never kicks in at all think i'm gona create a bypass switch and have the fan on a switch in the dash so i can turn it on and off when needed

...it never kicks in at all think i'm gona create a bypass switch and have the fan on a switch in the dash so i can turn it on and off when needed
Funny thing, that is what I have done.

I have wired a switch & multimeter into the car in parallel with the radiator fan switch.

I wasn't sure my fan was coming on, so I wired a switch in parallel with the radiator switch into the car, together with a multimeter, so I could manually switch the fan on if necessary & also check when the fan was switched on by the radiator switch.

On a 20 mile journey the radiator fan never came on, not once.

When I was stationary for a period, the fan came on very occasionally for 10, 15, 20 sec.

That didn't seem right to me.

I guess as long as car is moving there is enough airflow to cool the radiator & system & the fan generally only kicks in occasionally when stationary.

my k11 and my brothers fiesta are the same as this. never comes on when moving and when sitting still for ages sometimes theres a 10 second burst here and there

A fan should never be needed once the car is moving at normal road speeds. Sounds like a few people trying to fix something that is not broken.

Strange thing is I bought a Radiator Fan Switch (50301) cheap off ebay thinking I might need it.

I tested this switch in hot water, it

-Switches ON at 93 degC (short-circuit)
-Switches OFF at 83 degC (open-circuit)

That's certainly some temperature difference for a fan to cool in 10-20 sec.

Does that sound right, that radiator fan can cool the system by 10 degC in 10-20 sec ??

Back