Quick Oil Q

Ello,

When I check my oil 5-10mins after driving, it reads at the H level, so everything is fine.
But when I check it after a day or two standing there, it reads about 5-6mm over filled (approx. 250ml).

Is this bad? I know that overfilling an engine can damage valves etc so am i risking this when it reads overfilled after all the oil has thoroughly drained to the sump?

H

oh and for all those that give a toss, I did my cam belt today all went well but I want to slap the bloke that came up with hiding the engine mount bolts in the most inaccessible place known to man....
cheers for the info and advice...

H

Yes its overfilled and that can cause problems, such as excessive wear on components due to increased oil pressure.

You should measure the oil level from when the car has been sitting for a while and the oil has drained into the sump.

I'd suggest doing an oil change if you can and not overfilling it this time!

or you could just let a bit out the sup drain plug.....may be a couple of mug-fulls.

if you leave the filler cap on, it wont come out quite so fast......

but if its been more than 5 months since its last oil change I would go ahead and do a change anyway...its less than £20 and you engine will love you for it

I did my cam belt today all went well but I want to slap the bloke that came up with hiding the engine mount bolts in the most inaccessible place known to man....
H

I know how you feel, I did my K11 water pump yesterday, Micras are not made for european sized hands.

i found my micra a breeze- compared to a transverse mounted toyota twin cam anyway. took me about half an hour just to get the upper cam cover off.......

bring back RWD, and keyhole surgery will be a thing of the past :)

Back