Question

possible sparks(arcing) from a loose battery, bit stupid, but it's what we was told when I did my forecourt safety course, as I've done a lot of work on them, so we were required to do it grrrr

But researchers at the University of Kent now say this is not so. In the last eleven years there have been 243 petrol station fires worldwide attributed to mobiles. But according to a paper by Dr Adam Burgess, not a single one was actually caused by a spark from a mobile.
According to investigations by oil company BP, in many cases static electricity discharging from a person created the spark that triggered the blaze.
Burgess told the Press Association: "The petrol station/mobile phone story crosses into the realm of rumour and urban legend. It’s properly groundless, a story of health and safety gone mad."

AAHH

That is true!

Though I know Esso had 16 fires in 2005 on their petrol forecourts, 15 started off the site.

People dropping a cigarette in their car, starting to burn, then pulling onto a petrol station for a fire extinguisher, some people are so stupid.

lol yeah.

and getting jumped off a forecourt... which idiot would do something like that... (A)

Well wouldnt using a defib on someone (ie shocking them if needed) be more dangerous than smoking on a forecourt? Iv had to do this an it didnt blow up anyways!

wasps? yeah they scoff em down. crunch first, keep yr lips n gums away from trouble, then swallow with loadsa spit, and guzzle it with abandon.

Arent there phone masts in some petrol stations? Seems a bit daft having those warnings when they're situated onsite..

oh about the original thread. anyone ever seen richard hammonds pre-topgear show Brainiac: Science Abuse? they tested this 'mobile phone' theory loadsa times, with petrol spillages and open petrol cans, all stashed doors closed in a camper van - inside, alongside the juice were about a dozen mobiles.... they all called simultaneously - not a hope.
NOWT HAPPENED

oh about the original thread. anyone ever seen richard hammonds pre-topgear show Brainiac: Science Abuse? they tested this 'mobile phone' theory loadsa times, with petrol spillages and open petrol cans, all stashed doors closed in a camper van - inside, alongside the juice were about a dozen mobiles.... they all called simultaneously - not a hope.
NOWT HAPPENED
That's because it's not the phone signals that could cause the fire, but a loose connection of the battery to the phone.

To be honest it doesn't really bother me that much, I'm only ever at the pumps of a petrol station for a few minutes so the call/text can wait till im away from the pumps.

so the next time someone says something to you about it. You know what to say back. 2 words, rhymes with duck, second one is off :D

My mate works at the pumps down the road from us, his boss told him one of the reasons was for security, incase you are planning to blow the place up, and you call your accomplice to give the go-ahead to blow the place up!

Bit silly if you ask me!

Personally i think its jus so you pay attention to filling up your car and dont overfill it an spill it everywhere.

Back