Question about coilpacks

on idle it will sound as if the engine is idleing very low, if you think a coilpack has gone, just disconnect each one, one at a time and when ever you disconnect one the engine idle should drop, if it doesnt drop then you have the coilpack thats faulty.

then to check that its not the wiring for that coilpack thats faulty, get some tip x and put a dot for what cylinder it is, on the top of the coil packs, eg: 1 dot for cylinder 1, 2 dots for cylinder 2. then swap the suspected faulty coil pack to a different cylinder, then do the disconnecting again and see if its the same coilpack again or the same cylinder.

if its the same coilpack then its easy a new coilpack is needed.
if its the same cylinder again then your going to have to check the spark plugs and then the wiring to the cylinder and if thats ok then you will have to do either/both compression test on all cylinders and cylinder leakage test on all cylinders

Good advice cheers!

Basically (this is for my golf), it's running poor at moment and am feeling a powerloss, whilst idleing over I started unplugging the injector connectors, 3 effected the running but 1 of them didn't, unplugged the coilpack too and was same, not tried the rest.

Good advice cheers!

Basically (this is for my golf), it's running poor at moment and am feeling a powerloss, whilst idleing over I started unplugging the injector connectors, 3 effected the running but 1 of them didn't, unplugged the coilpack too and was same, not tried the rest.

tbh your'd be better asking on the golf forums surely there must be a vw mechanic on there he could explain the common problems and what to look for and how to diagnose it properly,

also if the system is anything like the coilpack engines in k11's the ecu will account for the cylinder running properly which could make the engine seem fine on idle in some cases

Am getting advice already but was curious about what happens with the K11 coilpacks and sounds the same.

It idles fine but sounds rough and there's no power kick when accelerating

So is the coilpack everything that the cable plugs into ie the tubs and the block at the top?

coilpacks dont break often, if you unplugged three injectors and it effected the car but unplugging one of them didnt, sounds like the injector is screwed... i would check the plug/etc aswell before you put it down to a coilpack as they aint cheap!

Was thinking that too rlees85, I've checked the connector and it seems fine, I am told the coilpacks on golf's tend to go and thats what the majority suspect.

when one of the coilpacks went on my k11 the car lost all power and ground to a halt. The engine wouldn't start and had to be towed to nissan

Coilpacks are a common failure, on some cars more than others. The Focus standard plug gaps for instance (IIRC 1mm) put a high strain on the coilpack, so especially on the 1.6 they fail.

Basically after much more posting on net, I suspect the coilpack is it's a common fault plus the emissions light is on, am told thats most likely cause fuel is getting into the exhaust system which can only happen if no spark is burning the fuel.

Back