provisional bike liscense

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
hi all, anyone know anything about vehicle liscencing? i currently own a full uk driving liscence but want a 125 for commuting, but i need a provisional with 'bike' selcted basically. but i really cant see the point of paying 45 for a new provisional, then goin an changin it or whatever after!?!? is there any way i can just add bike option??? thanks all, Tom

I think even if you have a full driving license you still need to do a CBT and get a provisional before you can ride a bike even a 125. I have a full license as does a friend of mine and we both need to do CBT's before we can ride even as learners.

You should be fine with your drivers license, i think. But you definately have to take your CBT (Compulsory Bike Training) this will cost you around £100 and lasts 2 years, unless you pass your bike test in which case you don't need it.
This will allow you to ride a 125 bike as long as it doesn't have more than i think 15hp, or it might be 12.
Basically if you get a 4stroke 125 you'll be ok, if you get a 2stroke one then you'll need a restrictor in it.

im aware i need a cbt etc, its just when i rang up to book it they asked if i had my provisional, i said no but i have a full car liscence, she asked if it had an a or a1 on the back (mine hasn't) so she said i need a provisional, wich is a car liscence application, just selecting motorbike option. i think ive sussed it now, just seems expensive and stupid way of doing it!

Thats odd actually, because my provisional had a picture of a bike on the back, but my full license doesn't...
Ah well my bikes wrecked anyway.

Mine has a bike on it (full licence) and going off what my CBT says its lasts for two years unless you pass your full car test in those two years.

hughes, your CBT is valid for 2 years unless you pass a full bike test in that time, at which point you have a full license.

You will either be restricted to no more than 33bhp for 2 years or if you're over 21 you can do Direct Access on a larger machine allowing you unrestricted access. The age changes to 28 Oct 2008

Back