Progress on K11 DIY ECU...

micracharge

Now with added V6...
Well, its taken a few weeks to get this far but I now have a working Megasquirt V3 engine management unit, I say working, certainly working on the bench, it took only basic tools to build and was considerably easier than I expected. My aim was originally to use a Motorcraft EDIS (Electronic Distributor-Less Ignition System) and coil pack to run the car and replace the dizzy, but on inspection of the standard Nissan crank trigger I saw no reason why I couldnt use it for the Megasquirt and then drive the Nissan internal coil directly, eliminating the Transistor pack - essentially meaning that all the stock Nissan hardware is useable. Good news is that the Nissan optical trigger does indeed work for crank triggering, but does require a couple of minor modifications to make it Megasquirt compatible, nothing big though.

Next project is to finalise my engine loom and get it into the car for a run-up test. This little project is now of more interest to Micra owners than previous, as it shows that a full stand-alone MAP-based engine management system can be built and installed with all the stock sensors and components for less than £400 including customs charges from the US. Feature set of the Megasquirt is very good, and software is available for most platforms for tuning. I have tuned nearly every management system available at some time or another, but the standard of datalogging and analysis on the Megasquirt puts MoTeC to shame and is really refreshing for a seemed "low-budget" system. It ships with an internal map sensor good for 21psi of boost, and can take control of the standard Nissan PWM idle valve for good warm and cold start idle control. Latest versions of the code for Megasquirt (which are fully upgradeable and constantly developed) feature integrated knock control, auto-tuning of the VE table and full O2 feedback control for emissions.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can finally full-run the car on the Megasquirt box, and then perhaps think about full mapping and tweaking. With management in place on the car, its on to the Supercharger! :D

awsome dude i really cant wait to see this finished, will be interesting to see what the m45 can do on a micra engine. No-one i know of has used this on the micra before. you have to take me for a ride once its done.

this is realy handy mate, im looking at using megasquirt in my facelift, however its coil pack so having difficulty finding out what board n parts i would need :(. dont suppose you got any ideas?

Back