Pre-MOT questions

Robert

Ex. Club Member
MOT's not til the end of August but i have couple of worries that i want to double check with you guys..

1. Since i swapped my seats, my airbag light is flashing, is this a fail and if so what's the fix? is it a dealer-only job to reset it?

2. My rear bench doesn't lock in the upright position, again will this be a fail?

3. LED rear lights, they should pass right? My blacked front ones and mirror side repeaters were ok last year so not gonna worry about them..

4. My gear linkage is rattly, i know this is fairly common, just wondering if there's a fix rather than replacing? I read something about drilling out a rivet and replacing with a bolt, any more information as that's all i remember and can't find the thread now!

I think that's it..

1. Fairly certain this will fail

2. I imagine it would as the seat isn't secure, just remove them, then it won't fail.

3. LED rear lights will only pass IF they are E-Marked.

4. Check that the gear lever return spring hasn't come off and is rattling against the heatshield.

1. Fairly certain this will fail
Would removing the bulb do the trick?

2. I imagine it would as the seat isn't secure, just remove them, then it won't fail.
I had to bend the bottom brackets a bit as they're march seats, was a right pain bolting them down! WIll have to try and just fix it i suppose, lol.

3. LED rear lights will only pass IF they are E-Marked.

4. Check that the gear lever return spring hasn't come off and is rattling against the heatshield.
Spring is ok and there's no heatshield :)

Attachments

• PICT0162.JPG
    PICT0162.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 335
airbag light is flashing, is a fail.

rear bench doesn't lock in the upright position. might be a fail as its dangerous in the case of an accident.

when you start the car the air bag light comes on for about 7secs so taking the bulb out would sugest their is an airbag fault aswell, unless their not paying attention. better off getting a quote now while you got plenty time to sort it.

But if there's no bulb there's no light on the dash? :p

Haynes send nothing of disarming, i dont think, grr..

The airbag Light can be flashing, it will just be put in a comment box at the bottom as they have to note any faults they find.

I checked up on what I have read here:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mot_testing.htm

I'm very confident that an Airbag light will be ignored as the Airbags are not part of the check. Just like you can have a low Fuel light on. Or a Service light on. Or one of the many other lights that can pop up that have nothing to do with the condition of the car. (ok arguable airbags are part of the condition of the car)

So an ABS warning should make a fail?
On Fords you can re-set the seat sensors by leaving them unplugged for a while which sometimes puts the tell-tale light out,might be worth a try.
Could be worse,not uncommon on Vauxhalls to get the full display,bags,service,management & ABS.

I guarantee you will pass with the air bag light on not even an advisory my focus has it on, and the said nothing i did loads of research its even on the MOT site airbags air not tested!

lights don't have to be e-marked either ;) an e-mark is just a guarantee that they are tested and okay. but things without an e-mark can still be legal.

it doesn't HAVE to have an emark, an emark is just a guarantee that it is suitable...
My siderepeaters aren't emarked and they passed, my LED rear lights have NO emark and they have passed, and i'm pretty sure noone as fail with the LED rears....

Back