powerless micra SI

S

siblinghk

my micra is 1.3 si and i just bought it for a week. when i drive the car, i feel it is kind of slow just like my old 1.0 micra and i suppose it should do better than that. i still drive gentlely it everyday and it costs me 5 pounds petrol to run 20 miles. i really think it is something wrong and the car runs for 20 mintes and i heard some sounds like whistle underneath the car. i suspect the problem is the exhaust as the dashboard shows the engine revs unstablely when the car is idle. could anyone tell me what i can chack to identify the problem with my car?? many thanks indeed.......

£5 - 20 miles off the top of my head mid-high 20s to the gallon?
Something seriously wrong there dude.
A problem with the exhaust could cause the car to run weak and give poor economics. First of all I would jack up the car and look for any signs of exhaust deteroration (alternatively take it to an exhaust centre to get them to have a look at it.)
If it's not the exhaust your best bet is to get the ECU read for any error code.

it could be the throttle body problem raising its ugly head, how many miles has the car done ?

the car just done 76000 miles and it is in quite good condition apart from teh problems though

If your car burns £5 in 20 miles it must be running mighty rich!!! I have a mildly tuned 1litre and I could floor it as much as possible and still get over 35 miles back for the same £5!!!
Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust? Maybe you have a leaky fuel line that is only apparent when the fuel pump is running. This will also give less power. The only problem with fuel starvation is that it will cause your engine to run lean, increasing the chance of detonation.

Maybe your piston seals are gone.

Air filter/ Passage way could be blocked as this would cause whistling noises and reduce performance.

If your engine is overfilled with oil it will reduce its performance.

Back