Power Supply to Dizzy

Hi,

Got a 998cc on a M plate, had an intermittant misfire, basically cutting out at idle. Ran for a while like it then died altogether.
Have got no spark, so replaced the dizzy with a brand new item. One of these ones: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4144e20b6b
Looks slightly different to my old one, the body of the dizzy that sits inside the crank case seems to be bulkier, and my old one had an external condensor. I'm guessing I could use either part?

Fitted it anyway and still no spark, got a multimeter on the plugs that connect to the dizzy and I'm reading no power on all wires when the ignition is switched on.
Just wondered what wires should be showing voltages and what else should I be doing to diagnose the problem?

Cheers
Scotty

hi scotty, you should have 12v at pin # 2
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC10569.JPG
    SDC10569.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 508
Thanks for the diagram, I'm guessing thats with the ignition in the On position?

From when I tested it I don't think I have power at any of the pins :S

all fuses appear to be intact, when I turn the ignition on I get all the dash lights as normal, just wondering if there is a relay that supplies the power to the dizzy?

Ok, So I double checked the reading today and this is what I got.

Voltage across the battery was 11.6 V cause its a little flat

dizzyplugs.jpg

Does this look about right? How close does the timing need to be to get it to fire, im used to vws where they'll fire up with the timing way out, and what is the correct timing for it? Got a strobe etc just not got my manual to hand

Yeah, that looks normal as far as i can remember but dont think the 10.8V reading is right but not sure.
whats the resistance between the two pins on the smaller connector (dizzy side)? should be around 0.8 ohms

Back