Powdercoating wheels??

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
The last set I had done was a couple of years back now. To have something for the guys to hang the wheel on, it's generally easiest to remove the inflation valve from the wheel. I stripped the original paint off myself with paint stripper and a lot of elbow grease, then gave it to the guys to do the job on.

Had to wait for a time when they were doing a run of matte black stuff and the final cost was $25 a wheel. It'll probably set you back a bit more than this generally and even more if you want them to sandblast them too. I masked off the lip prior to giving it to them to have a polished lip though I wish I hadn't as while it looks fine, I should've protected it with a clearcoat afterwards as it's got a bit of oxidising from brake dust.

---dens

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
I got a place in West Syd to do mine in gloss black (on n14 wheels) and they came out shmick.. 30 or 40bux a wheel I paid.

Sandblasting etc but the guttering stayed as the metal putty did not survive the sand blasting.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Open up yellow pages, call around, find cheapest/closest place and get them done there. There's really not much to it - powdercoating isn't like airbrushing in that the quality/skill of different places doesn't really change from one powdercoater to another.

---dens

Back