Possible damage

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted here. In the early hours of Sunday morning my engine pretty much exploded, or at least it seemed that way. As you should be able to see from the picture, the engine is not servicable but the question is, has it also wrecked my gearbox? I'm not too sure where it splits so it's hard to tell whether I should be shopping for another gearbox as well as an engine. If anyone could share their opinion it would be much appreciated.

DSC01498.jpg

Cheers ;)

Will

hi, no it hasnt touched the gearbox, see that block where it says cg10, the engine and box split just to the right hand side of that, so should be ok.

how did the engine let go btw?

that looks...mmm ######ed.

gearbox unbolts just from the right of the cg13 stamped area...depending what happened when the engine went, id guess the box maybe ok...guess being the key word.

only way to know for deffo is to check it :)

hi, no it hasnt touched the gearbox, see that block where it says cg10, the engine and box split just to the right hand side of that, so should be ok.

how did the engine let go btw?

Excellent, brilliant news to me :)

I was out with some friends and there has been this rattling noise for a while so we were curious as to what was causing it. As I revved it there was a fairly loud snap noise followed by loud grating/knocking, smoke and a pool of oil with bits of engine in it. Pretty worrying as it was really cold outside and it was about 2:30am so not much help available. Fortunately my mum and I have breakdown cover so had it recovered back to home where it now sits awaiting repair.

gearbox will be fine, but omg how the hell did one of your pistions fall out the bottom of the engine?

i think your crank might have snapped, which could have an effect on the gearbox, only way to find out is take it apart and see what happened.

gearbox will be fine, but omg how the hell did one of your pistions fall out the bottom of the engine?

i think your crank might have snapped, which could have an effect on the gearbox, only way to find out is take it apart and see what happened.

Yeah I want to strip it down a bit after we've swapped over the engine and see what has happened in there. The hole looks fairly small but it also looks like the bottom end is sitting funny inside so could well be snapped crank. If it has snapped, what effect could it possibly have had on the gearbox?

Yeah I want to strip it down a bit after we've swapped over the engine and see what has happened in there. The hole looks fairly small but it also looks like the bottom end is sitting funny inside so could well be snapped crank. If it has snapped, what effect could it possibly have had on the gearbox?

i stripped my gearbox when it exploaded, very interesting, many broken teeth inside lol.

if the crank has snapped it should still be fine, the way the engine is built it should have kept the flywheel in place, but if the fly has shifted i think the only thing it would really do is rub the bell housing a bit, but i am pretty sure that wouldn't happen because the clutch would hold it in place.

does the clutch still work?

i stripped my gearbox when it exploaded, very interesting, many broken teeth inside lol.

if the crank has snapped it should still be fine, the way the engine is built it should have kept the flywheel in place, but if the fly has shifted i think the only thing it would really do is rub the bell housing a bit, but i am pretty sure that wouldn't happen because the clutch would hold it in place.

does the clutch still work?

I haven't tried it. Give me a few mins, I'll stick it in gear and see if the clutch still engages and disengages properly.

I haven't tried it. Give me a few mins, I'll stick it in gear and see if the clutch still engages and disengages properly.

cool, when my gearbox went, the stack of cogs slipped off the end and smashed through the bell housing, the bit of box that broke off got wedged under the release barring, so the pedel wouldn't move at all.

if there are broken bits in the gearbox you may have the same problem

nice one will :cool: the bigend,s still intact eh, it must have snapped the rod and flailed it through the block !

nice one will :cool: the bigend,s still intact eh, it must have snapped the rod and flailed it through the block !

Sounds about right lol :p

Looking at second hand engines at the mo so should hopefully be back up and running again soon. What's a rough timescale on swapping an engine in one of these?

Right, got an engine to try. My more experienced helper asked me a valid question earlier. Which way does the engine come out? Top or bottom? If it can come out both ways, which way do you most recommend?

if you have a crane its easier out the top if not its easier dropping it on trolly jack, remember to remove drive shafts.

I took mines out from the top as we had a crane, took about 2 hrs to remove. I think there was a subframe for the engines mounts going front to back of the engine (can't remember if this was the micra or the primera) so we reckoned it was easier from above.

Back