Polishing the Rocker cover.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
I have just removed my rocker cover and have started the long process of polishing it. I am doing it for two reasons. One there is noone up here that does it and two tis not that hard and needed to be done.

Will post pics of before and after and then how i did it. At this stage it is coming up pretty good. Also am making a air box so will do the same for that.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Sprayed mine black with VHT paint.. worked well. Had a spare cam cover (since <a href=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=afaik>afaik</a> the CG13 doesn't have rockers ;)) so thought I may as well! I found out that the best way to keep the letters unpainted was to use cello tape on the raised areas straight after painting when it's still wet then repeat that til it's clear, then use a scalpel to remove the excess if any was missed.

Don't have any pics of it from memory though. Don't see the point in taking pics of such a boring engine bay :p

---dens

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Mine was really ****skied... Needs alot of work. I have sanded it with 600 then 800 then 1200 and will finish with 2000 wet and dry paper. then will be finishing with a polishing tool and some metal polish. For a hours work so far it has come up pretty good. Will post pics soon. in the next couple days. I will also take measurements of the air box and do pics up of that so you can all copy.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"Mine was really ****skied... Needs alot of work. I have sanded it with 600 then 800 then 1200 and will finish with 2000 wet and dry paper. then will be finishing with a polishing tool and some metal polish. For a hours work so far it has come up pretty good. Will post pics soon. in the next couple days. I will also take measurements of the air box and do pics up of that so you can all copy.

good work!

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Sprayed mine black with VHT paint.. worked well. Had a spare cam cover (since <A href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=afaik">afaik</A> the CG13 doesn't have rockers ;)) so thought I may as well! I found out that the best way to keep the letters unpainted was to use cello tape on the raised areas straight after painting when it's still wet then repeat that til it's clear, then use a scalpel to remove the excess if any was missed.<BR><BR>Don't have any pics of it from memory though. Don't see the point in taking pics of such a boring engine bay :p<BR><BR>---dens

If your painting raised letters on your cam cover here is a little trick.
Do all your prep work....paint it whatever colour you like.....dont worry about taping letters or anything, leave to dry.
Then once dry run a file over the top of the letters....this will bring the paint off the top of the lettering. It will look a nice bright metal silver colour.

You can do this with brake calipers with raised lettering too.

Job done.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
ok it is all finished Not 100% due to the lack of time i could keep the car off the road but still i am happy as it is 150% better then before.

Am just finishing the paint today and will post pics of before and after. I have to go down to 240 grit paper and then to 400-600-800-1200-2000 grit. There was some really bad spots. But all is good.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
dsc00167ve7.jpg

pic

cisco

» CMF Member
That looks unreal, what did you use?

I used to use "silvo" and a high speed drill buffing wheel thing.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
WOW.... yeah amazing... i didnt realise it would actualy come up shiny..... did you spray the black part??? looks cool cos its diff colours!! pitty you cant see the missan 16 valve bit... looks great irrespective!!

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
i started with i belt sander and took the lettering off then that let scratches.
I then hit it with the scotch pad belt and then 180grit then 240grit then 400grit then 600 grit then 800 grit then 1200 grit then 2000 grit and finished it off with a bench grinder with a polishing wheel.

I actually liked doing it and getting a good end result. Thought about polishing them on the wekend for a small fee but not sure if there would be enough of a demand. Not sure of the pollish to finish it was a green stick thing you wipe on the polishing wheel.

Very happy with it though.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
tris WROTE:

"WOW.... yeah amazing... i didnt realise it would actualy come up shiny..... did you spray the black part??? looks cool cos its diff colours!! pitty you cant see the missan 16 valve bit... looks great irrespective!!

Yeah i sprayed it black in between.

You can see the nissan still. I could have polished it out but it looks good kinda like a holagram or something weird but very nice. Could have got it better if i had time but the car had to go back on the road today

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
yeah i did that to start with but i could not polish in between the writing and it all just looked ****. The easyiest way was to take the writing off. So that is what i did. I am sure you could buy a small polishing bit to get in between the writing

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
it is uploading to my email now. Might take a while though as it is 1.7mb

As i said i could have gotten it alot better if i had the time. The air box got welded tonight. Is very simple in design with only two sides. But will work and look good when polished to.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
the air box is done. Wimple design but look fantastic. Could not be happier. Just gotta drill the hole for the inntake piping and run the cold air feed. Polish it and boooya done.

I will speak to the guy who did them and post pics when all done. He might want to do a few more. Who would be interested. It is a two sided box using the chasis to seal it. Can supply with the cold air feed piping and all screws. Cut tig welded and fully polished. Who might be interested. Have to say though this air box sits on the left side of the engine and covers the washer bottle. Is easy to pull out goes from the tower to the headlight. Removal of headlight at track days will be great.

CMF_Micra Nut

» CMF Member
That is a savage job you done, real show car job. IM going to start mine in the next day or two. If it turns out anywhere near yours i will be well happy. Great job

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
cheers mate. I will post pics tomorrow for you with the air box done and in. Now if people are interested in them the guy will make more. A full sheet of Alloy is about 350 and he can get 12 boxes out of that. Plus the 3 inch mandrel bend is about $40 silicon hosing is supplied by you. If people want the air box done it only takes a week to do them all. Not sure on total price but should not be to bad. If i can get around that many people interested then i will look into it for you boy. Mine has come up great.

Back