Pod or Panel or Foam?!?!

CMF_S2000

» CMF Member
Looking for a cheap boost in sound and air breathing for my 1.0litre march. What's the better pod or panel or foam etc etc. I've had different suggestions and it's confusing me.

cisco

» CMF Member
If you want to boost sound, just remove the factory intake pipe/resonator unit.

Not much real world noticable difference between various filter types, but if you are serious about building a cold air intake, read some of the Technical Articles in the Information section.

Attachments

• 14054.jpg
    14054.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 22

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
There's a detailed test on oiled foam filters versus factory versus aftermarket filters. Does anyone want the link (it's on work's computer.)
The oiled foam types flow more air but let more dust through = more engine wear.
Standard manufacturer filters stop heaps more dust but have a higher pressure drop and hence flow less air.
If you want more air and don't mind the engine wear use an oiled foam and oil it properly (messy job I can tell you).
Personally I'd buy a manufacturers filter from a bigger engine and fit it to my 4 cylinder, flow more air and stop more dust. Best of both worlds really. LWC.

cisco

» CMF Member
At the Melbourne micra meet dyno day once we swapped the air filter on the white super s and did two dyno runs to compare.

First we used a factory paper filter, then we replaced that with an oiled cotton/mesh K&N performance filter.

Dyno results were IDENTICAL ! :)

This did not cover foam, but I was pretty surprised even with the K&N not to be any different. After that day, I swore I wouldn't bother buying any more of those K&N filters that fit in the factory air box.

I think LWC has a great idea, which is basically install a larger surface area big car filter and/or airbox, and yeah best of both worlds.

CMF_S2000

» CMF Member
What airboxes will fit on the march?? My mate just took his one from his s15 out. Will that fit?? Or the other option?? A bigger filter?? My mates s15 sounds soo much different with just the removal of the factory thing and will the pod filter in. I suppose a 1.0litre will not be affected greatly from it?? Thanks for the help so far.

Back