Still cant decide... (K&N panel filter or kit)

Well i have been reading all the posts on this forum about induction kits for Micras and also Panel filters and i still cant make my mind up!

Now there is a mix of opinions of the actual performance gains from an induction kit to a panel filter replacement. The general consensus is to just replace the panel filter. I want some noise though lol and i hear the induction kit sound very nice. Some are also under the impression that the induction kit will improve throttle response and this is actually making me sway to the induction kit slightly.

I'm worried about the induction kit and heat, i understand the filter will just suck up the hot air around the engine and this in turn will be damaging the engine. I was thinking of getting the pipe extension bit to hook on top of the TB and keep the cone near the front of the car. Some have also kept the cone behind the battery?? why? would this not decrease airflow to the filter?

Anyways all the input and advice most appreciated.

Cheers.

I'm by no way an expert, but why not just get the noise from your exhaust and the performance from the induction kit?

lewis said:
I'm by no way an expert, but why not just get the noise from your exhaust and the performance from the induction kit?

Well i only just recently had the exhaust backbox replaced which cost a fair bit, had to get it done to pass the MOT, wasn't thinking about modding it then :(

ive been told that the best way to go for performance is a panel filter with a pipe connected to the front of the car going through the filter, in the original air box..... but if you want noise go for the induction kit but just put that at the front of the car in my opinion the induction kit is noiser when it is sat on the throttle body, rather than having a pipe and putting it further to the front of the car, this has slightly more performance and some noise by doing this but i think just the panel is the better way to go (ive done both and prefer induction kit)

the reason why people put it behind the battery is to keep the heat away from the filter, but as far as im a wear you dont get much cold air to it by doing this.

mines just went through an mot and has janspeed back box and induction and they werent bothered

OK so swaying to induction kit more now...

The standard Micra K&N induction kit 57i fits straight onto the TB right? leaving the existing air intake with an additional air intake? Have people noticed that this is the better way to go? what about the heat issues related to this method?

Would i have to custom make an extension to house the cone away from the TB. if not does K&N supply these?

listen dude. if you want performance, get a panel filter, which uses the standard box/intake and has little restrictions. for noise get an induction kit. no good for performance, as the way its mounted above the engine, its soaks up the heat.

you can get what you want easy!

buy a cone filter and place it at the front of the engine bay.to avoid heat soke and to get the best "noise" and good performance.

if you dont wat to mess with pipe and stuff to do the above,,GET A PANEL FILTER

I've given it some more thought now, and have decided to go with the Panel Filter, sounds like the induction kit is more trouble than its worth!

the cheapest place I have seen these is about £33.50 from an eBay guy. Is this OK price? or have you guys found a cheaper place to get one? Part number for this is : 33-2060

Cheers

neds said:
I've given it some more thought now, and have decided to go with the Panel Filter, sounds like the induction kit is more trouble than its worth!

the cheapest place I have seen these is about £33.50 from an eBay guy. Is this OK price? or have you guys found a cheaper place to get one? Part number for this is : 33-2060

Cheers

good price is that, get it brought.

i got my panel from www.potn.com. I have the replacement filter that does not count as an engine mod (checked with insurer). Then unplug your cold air feed pipe at the air box end. Now you have a k&n cone that isn't an engine mod (as it isnt a cone), but sounds great when you boot it, even though mines a 1.0L :) I personally see no point in an induction kit as it invalidates insurance unless you declare it, although as your 24 it shouldn't go up too much.

The response is much improved with the k&n panel, even better with the cold air feed unplugged (keep the pipe there just unplug it as its got flexy sections in it). The air drawn in will be warmer from the engine nearby but that only decreases HP marginly, and as the cold air feed pipe is so pathetic anyway, the increased air intake from the engine without it most probably cancel it out.

I've had a K&N inducton kit on my soon-to-be-ex 1.4 K11 for it's whole life. It does increase the performance but generally it's a ####py ill thought-out idea. The hole for the TB is off-centre so it sags and it's so big it rubs against the bulkhead.

When the 160SR arrives, I'm going for a panel filter this time even though the only one available is a Nismo at fifty-odd quid :down: .

Back