Please help: rear brake leaking

Hello every one,

Day before yesterday noticed some oil on the floor next to driver side rear wheel. Today investigated and found that there is a leak.

Can some please help? What is the part that needs replacing called and where to buy? Did a search carparts4less was not listed there!

Regards

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Have you thought that it might be a brake hose/pipe? Is the leak coming from inside the drum or external to it?
If it is 'just' the cylinder then you are going to need a new set of brake shoes as well...........

Hi John_D,

Its the cylinder. But do I need brake shoes?

Regards

Well if the brake friction material is contaminated with brake fluid then yes. I have heard of people in the distant past removing the brake shoes and boiling them in a strong detergent mix (a cup full of 'Daz' or similar in plenty of water), to remove the brake fluid , but personally I would replace the shoes on BOTH sides of the car, and when you take the other drum off you will probably find that the rear cylinder on that side is showing some signs of fluid leak as well......

New shoes for that probably not cost a great deal of money... if you've already dismantled it fitting new shoes would be good preventative maintenance. I'd be inclined to burn through a can of brake/clutch cleaner and reassemble.... but then I'm a cowboy on my own car sometimes since your braking power is really at the front...

I had a seized proportioning valve so my rear brakes didn't work at all and I didn't even notice the difference lol.

Be worth doing the cylinder on BOTH sides so that you get consistent brake wear and strength. Your load proportioning valve won't take into account the difference between cylinder condition and apply the same hydraulic pressure to both.

Some more question please:

What should I use to clean the drum and plate?

I have used DW40 to remove the dirt and was thinking of using white spirit followed by brake cleaner!

Some one please advise.

Regards

they are a lot easier to do with the hub off, that nut is about 150nm tho iirc !
Thanks frank,

I did remove hub.

What is best way to clean break fluid?

It looks like the was there for quit a while because some of the plate paint is pealing off.

I have used dw40 to remove the dirt and was thing of using white spirit followed by brake cleaner.

Will the copper grease be okay to use for contact points and hand brake spring.

Regards

If the shoes and drums are worn and contaminated replace them. Otherwise use brake/clutch cleaning aerosol spray and hose it down.

Unless a spring is stretched they can be reused generally.

It's worth getting the nm on the driveshaft nut correct. If you overtighten it or undertighten it it can cause excessive movement in the cv joints.

Take pictures, don't get those springs in the wrong order!

As was finishing and did bleeding, noticed the other side which I opened to use as reference, cylinder popped out.

Now the problem is tomorrow is Sunday and Monday is bank holiday. I don't know if there will be delivery! And I have to go to work both Sunday and Monday!

Regards

Last edited:
Please help,

It happened again!!!

The cylinder poped out again. I realised my mistake now. I should have done the bleeding with brake drum on not off.

The question is: can I use the poped out cylinder by pushing bits in sliding tube back again?

Please HELP.

Regards

Last edited:
If you are VERY VERY caerful you should be able to reuse the parts...BUT wash them thouroughly in brake fluid to make sure there is no grit on them.Ive done this many times in work(mechanic)and got away with it

Dave

you have to be very careful pushing i back as if you are not you can easily damage the seal on the piston...if it is now leaking then sorry it is furbarred

Dave

Hello every one,

I haved fitted the new cylinder and new shoes but the drum does not fit. I have adjusted the adjuster but not to very last bit.

On the driver side the drum fitted but there was slight jam without adjusting the adjuster.

How to adjust it with out while the shoes are fitted?

Please help

Regards

Hi all,

Adjusted the hand brake adjuster to minimum, but still the drum will not fit!

Is it possible that one is bigger/larger than the other one?

If not can some one please help/advice how to fix it?

Regards

Have you tried tapping the shoes up or down in case they are not central to the drum...have you checked hte old and new shoes are the same size

Dave

Back