PistonHeads.com: 50mph Speed Limit Looms

they could change the limit to 3mph and nobody would take a blind bit of notice. it has bu&&er all to do with the speed limit (afterall its only law obiding people that stick to this anyway) its about law breakers. people that hoon around at 100+mph with no tax or insurance or mot. will they stick to the 50mph limit or just hit you faster now that you are doing 50mph and not 60....

Bloody dictators. I'm sick of them. Why don't they do their bl**dy JOB i.e. REPRESENT US ??

The Driving Test is there to determine that you are qualified to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY and drive safely on the roads, but this Government are determined to take away that responsibility from us.

It WON'T stop the idiots that race around the streets with squealing tyres !!! They don't care about the present laws, or safety, so why should law-abiding motorists be penalized for it?

Some roads are fit for 40 or more (wide, clear view and good distance from the nearest buildings or obstructions), some are fit for probably less than 10. All this means is congestion will increase by 50% in some areas ... and more money will be made from the Cash Cow.

BG

also on about changing 30 in built up areas down to 20....shoot me now. just makes my journey to work and college longer than normal

also on about changing 30 in built up areas down to 20....shoot me now. just makes my journey to work and college longer than normal
Actually that one isn't quite as bad as it's made out to be. The 20mph limit won't be introduced everywhere, mainly outside schools and on housing estates I think, which I totally agree with.

The rest of it is a load of bull though!

Most of the limit cuts in 30's are because people dont look when they're crossing roads! The car is always blamed even though people seem to forget. So many times recently i've driven along and kids are just standing in roads or walking across slowley thinking they own the road. Sorry, your getting a horn full and im gonna scare you, even if i am doing 20mph lol. Bloody chavs.

Blegh. All this will result in is record numbers of people speeding.

I'm for 20 zones in housing estates and stuff, but there's some places where it's unnesacery. It's also a very uneconomical speed because you're not moving very fast and you're in a lower gear then you can be at 30.

Hmmm and this isn't just a way for the govt. to make more money....... honestly speed limits should be going up as cars are now safer and more powerful this won't be any good for the environment as people will be out on the roads a lot longer

What good are these new speed limits going to do? If speeders are out there breaking the law now in the current 60-70mph speed limit (i.e. motorways etc), who thinks for a second that they are going to stop all their dangerous ways and suddenly start adhering to the speed limit?
This is just pathetic, people still speed now, lowering the speed limit won't make a blind sight of difference.
I was driving home today in a 30mph speedlimit, doing the limit, and a bunch of chavs ran across the road in front of me, on a blind corner with a crossing not 100 yards up, to the pavement on the other side, making me slam on my brakes.
What is the point in changing any of these laws if human still insist on beeing arrogant and stupid?!

PFFT it wont stick,

too many greenies will complin about how it makes cars even more harmful to the enviroment....

the 60 - 50 is just ridiculous, its not mandatory to go that fast, its to allow you to do so if you feel condfident to do so...

i think the germans have the right idea....

if the road permits it is actualy mandatory that you do the speed limit or you can be prosecuted for "driving without due care and attention" or even "causing an obstruction to other road users)

I heard today on the radio that in my local area there will be more 20mph limits introduced :doh: :(

i heard that the 20mph limit cant be enforced, its just advisory..? fwn

if the road permits it is actualy mandatory that you do the speed limit or you can be prosecuted for "driving without due care and attention" or even "causing an obstruction to other road users)

I failed my first driving test for driving too slow :( , thought i would play it safe by driving slower than normal :glare: was doing 49-51mph on a national limit ( 60mph ) road and about 20 through town ( 30 limit ) , that sucked so bad :doh:

But passed second time :laugh:

i heard that the 20mph limit cant be enforced, its just advisory..? fwn

Depends on your police force. Devon and cornwall won't enforce 20mph speed limits because they say it's a waste of police time. Ironically, most of exeter is 20mph, but there's no one to enforce it.

Depends on your police force. Devon and cornwall won't enforce 20mph speed limits because they say it's a waste of police time. Ironically, most of exeter is 20mph, but there's no one to enforce it.

0h right, well my road has recently become a 20mph limit :doh: takes me about 5 mins to cover 200 yards! lol ...well it feels like 5 mins :laugh:

As I said earlier, it's a terrible speed limit, because few people adhere to it (common sense should prevail in a 30 zone. If there's children, then 20's plenty but other times it's pointless) and it uses a lot of petrol because you're in a low gear not moving very fast.

Back