Pipercross & MPG

M

MarK11

I recently bought a Pipercross induction kit for my Micra which sounds great but also expected it to slightly improve the economy provided I didn't drive too enthusiatically.

However when I drove the car down to Newcastle yesterday, despite being gentle with the throttle (with no induction noise while cruising) it seemed to be drinking fuel, which I later calculated to be under 40 mpg o_O

Considering I normally get 45mpg thrashing around Aberdeen with the standard airbox. Are Micras more thirsty on longer runs, or might the pipercross filter have something to do with it? There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the car or any fuel leaks.

If the throttle body is getting more air then more fuel will be injected, so yes your fuel consumption will increase.

With induction kits you do tend to lose mpg, also depends on how you installed it more than anything, i take it its just sitting up on top of the throttle body?

Yes it sits right on top of the TB. Theres a cold air feed pipe, with the intake end fitted just behind the grille. I could see how if the filter was sucking in hot air the economy would worsen, but I thought at speed there would be enough cool air flowing under the bonnet.

Luckily I brought the original airbox with me so I'll refit that and see what happens to the MPG on the way back.

there a few mods for induction setups that can be done, but sitting straight on top of throttle body is ok but not the best in my opinion!

i may be wrong so my apologies but it seems you purchased an air filter for the noise and economy? (as quoted above)?

well if ur still wanting noise with better throttle response (and this is just my opinion, as im trying to help, but its what ever suits you!!!) then maybe (?) fit the airfilter like i have done

for me this is the best setup i have done! ok it may look rubbish but it works for me

sorry

napster

Attachments

• DSC00744.JPG
    DSC00744.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 210
I've got some 68mm piping from B+Q at home so I could mount the filter on the nearside, but since that would put it behind the radiator wouldn't that suck in more hot air? Where does the cold air pipe run in your setup?

I bought it mainly for the noise, but thought it might improve the economy slightly over a longer run. The throttle reponse seems pretty good, much better than my grandads diesel Citroen I've been driving today :p

I've got some 68mm piping from B+Q at home so I could mount the filter on the nearside, but since that would put it behind the radiator wouldn't that suck in more hot air? Where does the cold air pipe run in your setup?

I bought it mainly for the noise, but thought it might improve the economy slightly over a longer run. The throttle reponse seems pretty good, much better than my grandads diesel Citroen I've been driving today :p

well ive had a few setups. the other one used piping and i took it down the drivers side towards the drivers headlight!

then had a cold air feed that was in front of the grill

mine at the moment gets it from the bottom near bumper! its not that hot over to the right.....at least not compared to sitting straight on top of throttle body

napster

Back