Pioneer...

James

Chairman
Anyone know their customer support number (if they have one) or the process you have to go through to get a head unit sent back and repaired?

The power supply on my DEH-5700MP seems to have blown a capacitor or something as I get terrible alternator whine through the RCAs.

Currently borrowing Ed's spare DEH-5630MP using all the wires from my old unit and it's working fine! So it's definately the headunit thats bust!

Any suggestions/phone numbers?

Cheers,
James :)

Also be very careful when putting audio items in for repair! Get a quote before they carry out the repair!

these are also very good

Kev

I actually wanted it to be covered under manufacturers warranty? Surely they give a years worth with the product?

Just to add, I dont think I have the receipt any more. The only proof i have is my CCard bill :S

27 Dec Argos Ltd, Sittingbourne 129.99

Fix my radio is what CAD use if your product is out of warrenty. I dont believe all warrentys are a year long tho James.

Arnold said:
Fix my radio is what CAD use if your product is out of warrenty. I dont believe all warrentys are a year long tho James.
Well i've only had the thing 2 and a bit months! :(

With a thing like that, you'd probably have to go back to argos anyway and exchange it for another or a refund. Everything they sell and i mean everything usually only comes with like a 1 month warrenty, and you have to buy extended cover on everything. Maybe they operate the same way with there head units.

If they have them in stock, buy another then take the crap one back for a refund.

Also who fitted the HU?

Because if this wasn't fitted by an approved fitter the warrantly will be null and void anyway.

Kev

It could be a fault with the RCA and their earthing contact to the headunits chassis, apparently quite a common occurance with Pioneer.

Retepetsir said:
It could be a fault with the RCA and their earthing contact to the headunits chassis, apparently quite a common occurance with Pioneer.

Sounds like the problem my old pioneer had, but still managed to flog it on ebay for £80! :)

Kev said:
Also who fitted the HU?

Because if this wasn't fitted by an approved fitter the warrantly will be null and void anyway.

Kev
Me :blush:

Interesting Pete cheers for that - is it fixable? I just got off the phone with Pioneer support trying to blame it on my car.

Have you tried a ground loop isolator? Yes
Have you tried a capacitor over the alternator? Yes
Well from the symptoms you describe it sounds like a bad earth in your car. But i used the identical wires on my mates nearly identical unit!!

Well you could send it to a Pioneer test centre but they'd probably tell you the same thing :rolleyes:

Yep, it should be easily fixable, apparently just needs resoldering of the RCA grounding points. However, I'd still try and take it back to Argos for a new one......

Try earthing the headunit cage as well as the headunit itself to a nice clean grounding point.....

Otherwise get Ed to possibly have a look at it? I cant remember the exact problem, but I know its been mentioned on talkaudio before.

Okay i'll give that a try at the weekend. All I have is my credit card statement as proof of purchase but it's worth a try.

I also don't have the box :blush:

on the talk audio forum people say that if the earth on the amp gets removed with the rcas still attach to the amp, the amp will earth down the rcas which damages the hu and causes your problems james

Would the earth being removed cause the speakers to pop? As thats what my front ones did just before i got all the problems (the back ones whined after that).

Scared the crap out of me as I was doing about 70 on the M1 at the time!

Arnold said:
With a thing like that, you'd probably have to go back to argos anyway and exchange it for another or a refund. Everything they sell and i mean everything usually only comes with like a 1 month warrenty, and you have to buy extended cover on everything. Maybe they operate the same way with there head units.

If they have them in stock, buy another then take the crap one back for a refund.

Everything in the UK (bar food and clothes) has a 1 year warranty. You aren't entitled to a refund, only replacement or repair. It's through the seller, not the manufacturer, though often you will get handed off to the manufacturer.

In theory, the warranty is for as long as it is reasonable to expect the product to last for, but 1 year is guaranteed.

well its fixed which is good. :) I blew my last two headunits up (same alternator noise) but i silly me and im a SPARKY lol i took doorcards off with engine running and amps and headunit and the tweeter cable shorted to earth and it blew the "earth track" on the headunit. £45 to repair so i bought a new one (same model) lol £90.. blew that also by disconnecting rca outta amp :( so i bought a £220 one from shop and they fitted it and i aint touched ANYTHING since lol

A SMD component had failed. I bypassed it with a new one.

hey ed i b more interested in the solution as i have that hummming too...ive tried ground loops n such re wired power down left speaker wire down right etc...

Back