passenger seat belt "blew up"

ok my car got a ding below the back passenger window so i was going to kick it out from the inside i took the pannel off and had to take the front passenger seatbelt "tensioner" or w.e its called out(anyone know the real name??) and when I was putting it back in I dropped it and hard a LOUD bang almost like a gun going off at first I thought bloody hell that made a loud noise for something that wasnt heavy, my ears were ringing and everything. Then I noticed smoke comming out of it and I realised I must of shagged something inside there. Any way I put it back in and was trying it out at first the belt was reclining back in slowly and comming out ok but I thought as the car is due for mot next month I should test it properly, I then pulled it out hard as you would expect it to it went tight (like it would in a crash) then when it reclined and went back in I couldnt get it back out again.

any ideas? anyone got one for sale? what are they like to replace? whats the proper name?

The airbag pre-tension system must have gone off. You need to replace it.

Shouldn't be providing you don't drop it, always should be very careful when working with pre-tensioner systems and air bags. Disconnect battery serveral hours before working on them.

You're lucky you didn't blow a finger off lol. Personally I'd try to get a seatbelt system without pre-tensioners

what even for the seat belt??

I believe some pre-tensioner systems dont have wires going to them and detect a crash purely on shock which may be in your case, if so just be very careful with them. if you handle them wear some safety glasses and thick gloves, people ask why but its the last line of defence before nice soft skin (Y)

if you notice on the pretensioners labelling, ur suppose to turn a side key/knob 90deg to lock it before handling to prevent it goin off, then re-engage once installed back. so lock the replacement belt before fitting

Back