PAS Not working

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
I have added PAS to a non-PAS Micra, i have plumbed it all in and bleed the system, it still doesn't want to work. There is plenty of fluid and no leaks, but there is no assistance.

I think it may be the pump not working, but anyone got any good ideas ??? I know the pump is turning but no idea if it is doing anything. The fluid gets warm when the car is used, but i cna't see any evidence of the fluid pumping around, ie movement in the PAS bottle etc.....

Thanks in advance for any help

maybe a blocked/seized valve in the rack or a dodgey pump? im guessing the latter is more likely..how was this job? im looking do to the reversal - fit a manual rack to car with power steering, as finding a cheap local 1300 is proving to be a bit of a mission!

i retrofitted pas to my car, have you included the cooling loop at the front? if so take that out and loop it. it makes no real difference but saves a bit of weight.

as for the lack of assistance, there must be a blockage. you have two high pressure lines, one to the pressure switch and the other is a solid tube down to the rack.

have you plugged in the pressure sensor?

are you sure that the belt is not slipping? you might need to adjust the screw on the PAS pump mount.

try draining the fluid and running it again to see if you hear a choking sound, fill up the system with the engine running.

I fitted the rack when the engine was out so it was easy to do, so can't advise (yet) on swopping a rack....

The pressure sensor is plugged in, but it seems to make no difference plugged in or not.

The belt isn't sliiping and the pump turns over.

I don't have the cool loop fitted, and just a return to the PAS bottle.

If you want a 1.3 SuperS rack, PM me i have one for sale.... (3.4 turns lock to lock), also got a spare standard 1.0 rack.

How can you test the pump ? If i slacken off the najo bolt where the sensor is fluid comes out when the engine is running, but there seems to be very little pressure.... in my mind it should be ######ing out, is this the case ?????

They do take a long time to bleed all the air locks out, the stupid loop that goes up to the pressure switch don't help. Another thing is the pressure relief cartridge that fits in the output port of the pump can drop out and be easily forgotten if you're not aware of it.

Also, if you do a lot of sustained high speed stuff (track days, motorway commute etc) you may get problems by removing the cooling pipe from the front.

If the fluid isn't spraying out when you slacken the high pressure side then it probably is the pump.

When you say you bled the system, did you jack the front up and turn the steering lock to lock a few times with the engine off 1st? You have to do that with some newer BMWs so I make a point of doing it with everything now. Helps get more air out the system.

Yep did lots of lock to lock to bleed the system.

Yeah, I'd go with a dodgy pump then.

Its another daft question but I assume the pump and its pulley are off the same car as the rack?

If you want to prove the pump has had it you should be able to rig up a pressure test.
We had a Mitsubishi Legnum with a faulty pump one time and managed to braze together a small adaptor to screw an old tyre pressure indicator into the pressure sensor hole in the pump.
We thought it was better to be 100% before shelling out £300 to Mitsubishi! LOL!

No idea if the pump and the rack are off the same car, all the part came from Matt Humphris's huge parts in Oxford. Given the size, i would doubt it, would it make a difference ?

Not sure my brazing is good enough to make up a gauge mount, but i suspect the pump could be the issue. Anyone know (apart from a scrap yard) where you can get new/2nd hand pumps ?

Back