Oil Change

Ok i have seen on here that i should use 10W 40 oil but was just wondering if using 15W 40 would be ok as i have alot left from my previous car. It is fully synthetic and is good quality oil castrol.

Ok late reply to this so don't know if this will help...
My car hadn't been serviced for a very long time, roughly 3 years so she was very sludgy inside and I heard that putting 15w30 in because it's thinner will clean it of sludge it was in for 3 months and still runs great but back to running 10w40 semi synthetic.

Cheers for the reply did the oil cahnge the other week as well as a full service used 15w 40 and the car is running very sweet now. I will do another change after winter and drop to the 5w 30 like most people use.

I'd stick to 5w* oil because it's going to get very cold soon. Most engine wear occurs at start up, you need the oil to circulate around the head which it won't do if it's gone thick. There some good vid's on youtube showing how thick various grades of oil get when cold :). I'm currently running Nissan 10w40 in the dCi but am switching to 5w40 for the next oil change in a couple of weeks.

Good point Jay. I'm just being paranoid about my turbo bearings I suspect...

Just found this on driverstechnology.com:

In cold weather it is beneficial to use an oil that has good cold start flow properties, as it will get to the parts of the engine that need it far more quickly.
These flow properties are given by the oil grade. The "W" number (which means winter) is the key here and the lower the better.
It may seem odd but a 15w or 20w will struggle to get around the engine in very cold temperatures and I would strongly recommend a 10w or better still a 5w for better cold start performance in the winter.
90% of all engine wear occurs on cold start because the oil gets thicker the colder it is - which causes engine wear.

Back