Oil change

C

ChuckleBunny

How easy is it to change the oil on a k11? and how do you go about doing it?

Cheers

Easy peasy, 1st step is to buy a Haynes manual :D
Anyway, park on flat ground, let the engine cool down and then put a turkey tin (or other oil collection device) under the sump plug (on the left-hand-underside of the engine as you look head on aat it, a number 10 socket IIRC, while you are unscrewing this, keep pressure on it to avoid opil going down your sleeve, when it is unscrewed withdraw your hand quickly and hope that you have put the tray in the right place!
While th oil is draining you can change the spark plugs, have a brew, watch Neighbours etc. When the oil is just drips it is time to remove the oil filter, this is a pain to get to, it is located at the back of the engine about 1/2 way up it, slightly to the left (Looking at the engine head on). If it cannot be unscrewed by hand, use rubber gloves or jab a screwdriverthrough it and unscrew. The new one you replace it with will need a coating of oil around the sealing edge before being put on. Now unscrew the cap on the top of your engine and replace the sump plug (quite vital!) and then pour in about 3.2 litres of oil, check the level on the dipstick and adjust accordingly, screw the filler cap back on et voila, your oil has been changed.

Don't overfill your oil! If you do you get excess pressure in the sump which can knacker your piston rings among other things.

You probably need to replace the copper crush washer on the drain plug too. I made both of these mistakes on my K10 & now it leaks oil from the sump plug and burns it fwn Costly mistakes for the sake of a simple check... :down:

Not to put you off, just as with everything, take your time! Oh and a plastic oil can + stanley knife make a handy drip tray which you can easliy and cleanly empty afterwards.

I have re-used my copper ring forthe last two and a half years with no probs, you only really need one if the old one is knackered, cost about a quid from Nissan htough :)

do you need to lift the car to get to the oil filter ?
I am a heavy 6ft guy not sure if i can squeeze under my 99 micra

one more thing what type of oil should i go for
1 castor based
2 semi synthetic
3 synthetic
:slm:

I use 10w40 semi synthetic castrol magnatec, it is easier to jack the car up and gett o the filter, but I can do it without

i have changed my oil for the last 3 years. never changed the washer, infact i dont think i have one as one never comes off when i unscrew the plug. doesnt leak though.

spose. they always do my mam's hyundai for her.
ian did my last oil change when i first got the car. it was like treacle, there was hardly any there and hadnt been done for ages.

A guy told me that back home (he is from africa)the people use pumps to suck the old oil out from the engine.
I dont have a pump so I thought a good idea would be to syphen it out?

THE OIL WAS SO THICK IT WOULD NOT work.so i decided to start the engine to warm the oil. ie to decrease its viscosity.
It cut a bit of the IV (intra venous:I work in a hospital)line I was using off.
As I did not withdraw it before starting the engine.
Can this shag the engine?

anyhow The oil change saga was completed the old fashioned way.

And those oil filters how do you stop the oil leaking all over you when changing it.

When I was a automotive engineering student our lecturer swore by using cheap oil changed much more regularly. Aparantly the good stuff just degrades slower. Also the acid biulds up and causes corrosion, which is prevented by frequent changes. I was never certain if the magnatec type oils (that claim to sort of stick to the metal bits better when the engine is switched off) ever protected the engine more compared to brand new standard oil.

Back