non-ABS successfully installed with a bonus!

cisco

» CMF Member
Got all the non-ABS metal lines installed in the engine bay now. All hooked up, ABS sensors removed etc. Quite tidy and simplistic setup now, loving it. Plenty more room in the engine bay.

A bonus thing that I worked out (But bad for Alex B who was going to take my old booster).

The ABS brake booster is considerably larger than a non-ABS SLX micra one. Makes sense because with all the ABS there is a more complex circuitry of brake lines and more loss to push them all, hence needing a bigger booster.

And luckily both master cylinders fit both boosters.. So.. What I have now is the larger more powerful ABS brake booster hooked up with the non-ABS master cylinder and no ABS.

I.e. Its a 4 wheel disc setup now, but with a larger brake booster. So by keeping the same larger booster when I removed my ABS, I in fact have gained some brake feel etc.

That should be excellent considering I have the large AD22VF brakes installed up front, so I'm hoping the brake feel should be really nice now.

Yeehah.

So there you go. If you want to remove your ABS keep your large ABS booster, and just get the non-ABS master cylinder and metal brake lines. Its all in and fits 100% perfect.

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Hmm thanks for that cisco, have you taken her for a test drive yet? When you do let us know if it feels any different.

Also with the now redundant ABS system you could get a lauch/traction control setup (yes i know its cheating but could be fun!) Would your ECU allow you to do it?

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
not familiar with the term brake booster. what bit is this, obviously it seems to connect to the master cylinder, think i will need to look in my engine bay. could it be a good mod for normal non abs k11. track down an abs booster?

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah definately mate. That's what I'm thinking.

The brake booster is responsible for the power assistance feel of the brakes.

The ABS one is definately quite larger in size.

I'll report back with how it performs in a couple of weeks time once the car drives again.

cisco

» CMF Member
PS - the booster is the large black circle thing that the master cylinder is bolted up to. It has a rubber hose going to the inlet system as its source of vacumm.

Back