nissan micra wont start, not even a noise??? ignition problem ??

i have an m reg nissan micra wave 1.0, i went to start it up today and there was no sound at all when i turned the key. not even a clicking noise trying to start. the clock had gone out but the petrol gauge is showing the correct level.

im pretty sure its not a flat battery as ive just come back a few days ago from a 30 mile round journey so it would be well charged up

any ideas what it could be?? i put the key in and turn it and theres no noise at all. could it be the electrics or a fuse of some sort ??

Do the headlights work if not, then check battery voltage.

I'm just agreeing with the other guys here, Flat battery, leads fallen off battery, flat battery possibly caused by dodgy alternator, or just an old battery losing it's charge after a few days.

ive got the battery on charge as i think the boot may not have been shut fully and the light left on in the boot which may have made the battery go flat. i havent drove it since saturday night, so that would be enough to flatten it. tried the headlights and they dont come on, electronic clock on dashboard has died too.

fingers crossed its just the battery. will find out tomorrow. could be the alternator though not charging battery. if it is, how much are they ??

i got a battery the other day £40 from helfrauds :(

but it should be fine :)

Once a lead acid battery has been totally flat once they can be irreparibly damaged. It may still work but you may find leaving the lights on even for a short time may kill it..

latest update

ok, charged the battery last night, then tried it today, plenty of life in the battery but car wouldnt start. made that noise when you turn the key where its trying to start. any ideas what it could be causing it??

there is loads of petrol in the car so i know its not that. is it likely to be the starter motor or could there be another explanation. i have only just bought the car. it has an alarm but not sure about an imobiliser. when i put the battery back in the alarm went off and nearly defeaned me. couldnt get it to stop with the key fob thing so ended up disconecting it for now

if it had an imobiliser would that explain it not starting up but making a starting noise ?? or as im thinking is it likely the starter motor is knackered ??

My K11 developed a very intermittent start problem. Would crank/turnover but not fire/start. Otherwise ran fine in between bouts of non start (no stall issues, no uneven acceleration etc). Felt like a fuel issue to me and the previous owner - not very motor savvy mind - thought it was fuel filter issue.

When the car would not start, radio/dash lights would turn on an go out when key turned, sometimes radio would come on and sometimes not - when the no start problem was happening.

Everything I read on the net seemed to suggest that whilst a ignition switch/barrel might just be the issue, it wasn't necessarily a high contender because the engine cranked and there was no actual firing and a stall at any time.

Jiggling the wires that went into the ignition switch / ignition switch connector turned dash lights on and off with the key in the ignition - so obviously there was a loose connection - but that for a novice like me was not neccessarily the whole problem.

My problem turned out to be ignition barrel/ignition switch.

Swapped those out and the engine started first time. Bought on ebay.

My system was nats2 - transponder key with chip in the key (red cap)

Back